Thread: Figaro 3 NF Habitat Sinks During Training Session

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Figaro 3 NF Habitat Sinks During Training Session

Conveying to Saint-Quay-Portrieux, the Figaro 3 "NF Habitat", led by two team-mates of Corentin Douguet, sank in front of Aber-Wrac'h after hitting at night, an unlit cardinal buoy. The monotype rested, Monday, by 15 meters of bottom.

Can you explain what happened?

I was not on board, the boat was in ferry to Saint-Quay-Portrieux, with my trainer and Christian Ponthieu, my teammate, for our participation in the Tour de Bretagne in doubles next weekend. At night, they hit a cardinal buoy, Basse Paupian, which is not lit. An unlit buoy is dangerous. A shoal, we know where it is, but a cardinal buoy has a turning zone. And unlit, we do not see it.

How did the two team members react?

Fortunately, there were other Figaro 3 around them. At first, they were recovered by the Figaro "Brittany CMB Hope" before being supported by the SNSM. Aber Wrac'h's canoe tried to tow it but eventually sank.

Is it the shock with the foil that has resulted in a major waterway?

I do not think so. If you hit something with a foil and it makes a hole in the boat, it does it in height, above the freeboard. There, the boat sailed flat, engine in the sparkling, so without shelter. In my opinion, it was the side of the hull in front of the foil that had to tear on the buoy at the level of the waterline. That's what I imagine but until we find the boat ...

Did he sink quickly?

He filled up with water in a few hours. At first, the water returns quickly, then we have the bridge which is found at the level of the water and as soon as the last air bubbles leave ... It sank in front of Aber-Wrac'h, between the Little Fork and the Libenter.

Did you think a Figaro 3 could sink?

Now, we know that there is one that has sunk. Why how ? I do not know, as long as we did not get our hands on the wreck ... There, it rests by 15 meters of bottom and we are in a country where there is current (note: more than 100 tidal coefficient at this time).

What are the means put in place to recover the boat?

We are looking for it with divers. Will we manage to get their hands on it? I do not know. Afterwards, it will eventually come out somewhere on a beach, between the island of Batz and Pointe Saint-Mathieu. We will try not to let the boat drag in the water for obvious reasons of pollution and danger for other ships.

© The Telegram https://www.letelegramme.fr/voile/so...-2019-12372870 .php # lGTwWFtGplxgTSKV.99

A Figaro 3, which was cruising off Aber-Wrac'h, sank in the night from Sunday to Monday, having struck not a rock but an unlit cardinal buoy in front of Aber-Wrac'h.
    The all-time heading "Presidents Joseph-Oulhen" of the Aber-Wrac'h Rescue Station is underway to tow the monohull. Reinforcements were requested.
    More information on letelgramme.fr

" I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rising From The Depths

Roughly translated from Voiles et Voiliers

Sank Monday after hitting the cardinal buoy Basse Paupian, Figaro NF Habitat (skippered usually by Corentin Douguet and owned by François Gabart) was found and bailed five days later, this Saturday at Aber Wrac'h! The boat is obviously in a sad state. But at least it is no longer an underwater pollution or a danger to navigation. Divers have recovered everything, rig included! We contacted Corentin Douguet ...

Good news: the Figaro NF Habitat that sank Monday off the Aber Wrac'h was found, bailed and brought to shore! The boat was located late Friday night by a diving company specializing in research at sea. The bailout and towing operation to Aber Wrac'h, it was carried out yesterday Saturday, after the divers have managed to secure large buoys of several thousand liters to bring it to the surface.

Major damage caused by the stay in the background
    The boat is now expert on the port of Aber Wrac'h, without one can prejudge anything. Neither if it is possibly repairable, nor in what proportion the visible damages, very impressive, are the result on the one hand of the collision which had caused the sinking and on the other hand of the drift and shocks underwater , about twenty meters deep, for five days of high tides.

he two sailors on board (the technical coach of the NF Habitat team and the navigator Christian Ponthieu) - rescued by the crew of another Figaro ( Brittany Crédit Mutuel Performance ) and then by the SNSM of Aber Wrac'h - n ' had not left the boat in this state at the time of the sinking, but the submarine stay has badly manhandled the foil monotype.

Corentin Douguet: "Sad to see him like that, but glad he was found"
    This Sunday, we called Corentin Douguet to ask him for a reaction. Here is what he told us: "I am obviously sad to see the boat in this state, but also glad and relieved that it was found and brought back to shore. At least he is not hanging out and does not pollute the funds. It's a relief, yes. And I really want to thank all those who helped us to carry out this difficult operation and who supported us, there was a real solidarity. "
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

It's now a good habitat for sea critters to take refuge in!