Thread: Thinking about moving

Thinking about moving

I've been at Coyote Point in San Mateo for years, but I'm starting to find the drive annoying. Also, I'm tiring of pumping all that CO2 into the air, to go up to the boat and work on it. There's almost no racing out of the harbor, so what I do is, 4-5=6x a year, sail up to the Central Bay and do the in-the Bay SSS races, the Vallejo Race and WestPoint. I notice that the Sequoia YC has a pretty solid ongoing series with 12-18 boats out. We'd be the little guy, but that's OK. The harbor is within bicycling distance of my house. I'd probably have to join the SeqYC and the berthing is $33 a month more than where I am. Cha-chinggg.

No need to comment. I'm just rambling to mull it over in my head.

Alan, I've never understood the Redwood City Marina. Here's what the official marina website says about berthing. I don't know that you have to join the SYC to get a berth. I'd give the harbor master (whose phone is not listed) a call.

The Port of Redwood City's Municipal Marina is located at 451 Seaport Court, Redwood City, CA 94063.

The Port operates the 190-berth Redwood City Marina. This modern marina facility can accommodate vessels up to 50 feet in length and has 10 feet of water depth at low tide. The Marina provides electricity and water to all boats, and restrooms, showers, and laundry facilities for all Marina users.

For information on permanent or overnight berthing, contact the Port's Harbor Master, Spinnaker Sailing, at (650) 363-1390, or email Spinnaker Sailing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wylieguy View Post
    Alan, I've never understood the Redwood City Marina. Here's what the official marina website says about berthing. I don't know that you have to join the SYC to get a berth. I'd give the harbor master (whose phone is not listed) a call.

The Port of Redwood City's Municipal Marina is located at 451 Seaport Court, Redwood City, CA 94063.

The Port operates the 190-berth Redwood City Marina. This modern marina facility can accommodate vessels up to 50 feet in length and has 10 feet of water depth at low tide. The Marina provides electricity and water to all boats, and restrooms, showers, and laundry facilities for all Marina users.

For information on permanent or overnight berthing, contact the Port's Harbor Master, Spinnaker Sailing, at (650) 363-1390, or email Spinnaker Sailing.
    The Port subcontracts marina management to Spinnaker Sailing. I know those guys, I used to work for them, 25 years ago. I called Bob...there are no slips <30 feet, so gotta pay for a 30-footer for my 26 foot boat. They have spots @ $237 / month. You don't have to be a SeqYC member to get a slip. You don't even HAVE to be a Seq YC member to do their race series but I hate sponging off of the club without contributing. I know the port really well, I used to work down there at the Marine Science Institute.

They won't want me at Westpoint Harbor, I'm not glitzy or big enough. There's the pitiful remains of what used to be Petes Harbor, totally overshadowed by townhouses now. Those slips just opened up but I remember Petes Harbor, I loved Petes Harbor and I just can't...... And there's the marina further up, near docktown. It's pricey. I don't need wireless access at my slip, you know?

$237 for a 30 foot slip? Don'e even think of a 30 footer in Sausalito! I "sponge" off the Sausalito YC (where I used to belong) and contribute $$$ to their Youth Sailing Program as partial atonement - as well as paying their entry fees. Sometimes I volunteer to serve on a race committee for a race i'm not involved with. I don't use their clubhouse/dining/bar facilities except for their post-race burgers ($15!) and such. -- Pat

I pay $10 per/ft at the lowest cost Alameda slip..... $237 is quite reasonable.

I'm in a 28 foot slip at Coyote Point...$204 a month.

I know that $237 for a 30 foot slip is just fine, in fact that's what a 32 foot slip at Coyote Point runs.

The new marina at West Point is about 1/3rd full, looks nice.

Long sail to anywhere though.

Westpoint Marina is nice, though their smallest slip is, I think 33 feet. That's throwing away money when I have a 26 footer. They only want BIG boats there, but I have to say that everyone in the office, with one spectacular exception, is really nice.