Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Brest Atlantiques Blasts Off

Coville know his sponsors don't like to pay for broken boats every year.

Cammas has no such fear!
    "Honey Badger don't give a shit"

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Riding Over The Nasty Low

After ten days at sea on "Brest Atlantiques", the race was completely revived off Rio, between the stopover of the trimaran MACIF, the turn-around dictated by the prudence of Sodebo Ultim 3, and sailors who all keep the step on the brake so as not to expose their trimarans too much to a choppy sea. The goal of the fleet, led Friday by Maxi Edmond de Rothschild, is to make the round back before recovering within two days conditions more manageable.

The second weekly vacation of "Brest Atlantiques", organized this Friday from the House of Brittany, at the foot of the Montparnasse tower, said a lot about the difficult conditions encountered since Thursday afternoon by the four trimarans of the Ultim Class 32 / 23. If François Gabart, well stuck in the chair of his trimaran MACIF, had the smile and the cheerful voice while evoking a "shaker" to describe what he was living in a sea formed face, Franck Cammas (Maxi Edmond de Rothschild) , Thomas Coville (Sodebo Ultim 3) and Yves Le Blevec (Actual Leader) had more tired voices and / or more drawn features, the last two ending even some agonizing seconds during the conversation, waiting for their boat to fall back. a wave higher than the others.

"These are the worst conditions since the start and not far from the worst I have encountered in multihull, said Yves Le Blevec, who has yet seen others. At each wave, we have the impression that the boat is going to be demolished, it's really not funny. We have about thirty knots of wind, but what is annoying is that we have the waves in front and the sea is completely disordered, we are shaken, we are obliged to stand permanently. " Same story with Franck Cammas: " We currently have 25-28 knots of wind and a sea face, it is not very comfortable, it moves a lot, it is hard to stand up. "Remains that the Aixois welcomes that after the forced stop midweek in Salvador de Bahia for the repair of the drift, Maxi Edmond de Rothschild is again in charge of the race: "We did not expect to take the lead now, it is also related to the circumstances of our comrades, but it's rather nice, it's a new start for the race. "

A new start due to the technical stop of the MACIF trimaran in Rio (replacement of central hull saffron) and the U-turn made Thursday by Sodebo Ultim 3, that Thomas Coville took the time to explain: "When we arrived in Rio, we had no choice but to leave on that southern road that was trying to get under the big depression that we are going around. After a nap, Jean-Luc (Nélias) said: "Thomas, we're not going as fast as expected, the depression catches up with us and we're going to be stuck upwind in 45-50 knots. "So it's death in the soul that we decided to tack. For the morale, it was not terrible, because we broke down and finally lost the few hundred miles we had built. I was really disillusioned, because if we managed to pass under this depression, we doubled the bet and we ended up with a very comfortable lead, we changed system before the others. It's hard to accept losing so much in advance. "

Remains that the road to Cape Town is still long and that the future forecasts promise a possible general regrouping on the other side of the Atlantic, Cape Town, as François Gabart explained, second at 16h to 47 miles duo Franck Cammas / Charles Caudrelier: "We end up crossing in uncomplicated conditions, first facing the sea and upwind for almost two thirds of the way to Gough Island, then to the anticyclone where there will be very little wind, we will not go very fast. It's a shame, because I imagined rather this course Rio-Cape Full ball on the flat sea, I dreamed about it these last months. Unfortunately, it will not be for this time, it will return. " Too much wind first, not enough then, this second stretch will probably not be the best memory of "Brest Atlantiques" for the eight sailors and the four media men ...

"The night falls on this ninth day of the race, the atmosphere slightly veiled by the spray shows in our starboard bow shapes, the earth, small mountains. Jean Luc confirms to me immediately that these are the breads of sugars, symbol of our first point of passage, Rio."

"For the first time since our departure, the horizon is illuminated, gilded golden color, clouds yellowed by the lights of the city detour the reliefs that face us. We approach, zigzagging through tankers and unenlightened sinners, there are people in the village. The sensation of arriving in a place like this, after days of seas, drowned in the blue of the ocean, can seem quite brutal and almost unreal. Before going around our course mark, at the closest of the coast, we can distinguish the people near the beach of Ipanema, feel this human warmth, this agitation that reigns a few meters from us. No time for tourism, you have to gybe to leave immediately to the open sea, leaving these atmospheres and lights in our wake. Thank you Rio for this too short evening in your company."

Martin Keruzoré / Mediaman aboard Sodebo Ultim 3

TRACKER

At the Cabo Frio point, before turning towards Rio, there was a front to pass ... In short, an unstable weather change, in a sea under construction, badly placed.

It started in the day by the wind, taped without wind, with big clouds at the bottom who were fleeing us ... All sails out, once night fell; - without moon - the wind is up. They sifted almost all their sails and configurations, and it took them all night!

It is in this kind of moment that I realize that they make a great duo: bravo guys.

And this afternoon, finally we arrive in Rio! It was our main goal for 10 days. Since the time we talk about it, we made films: a nice transfer in front of the beach of Copacabana? Maybe the silhouette of Corcovado? a string string on the horizon? the smell of monoi? Samba? a little something Do Brazil what! I saw myself already immortalize the scene with a small blow of drone ... You speak!

Fog to cut with the knife, old mutant rain, icy cold in wax ... visibility 100m maximum by certain moments ... so much that one had to slacken the sail of before, so it was hot: one saw NOTHING! We thought we saw 3 buildings, the smell of trash, 2-3 cans of coca floating in brown water ... and basta!

It is perhaps better that we did not land, we would surely have fallen on a big slack mode: And bee, the Brest, the Breton, you brought the rain!?! Grrr, me it a little sapped morale!
    But Yves and Alex, they do not care, it must be said that the Cagarras Islands are super pretty and in the mist, it had a mystical side.
    In short, next mark at 3260 miles! There we prepare for a minimum of 4 days in the breeze, on the carbon chopper! Wow!

Ronan Gladu / Mediaman aboard Actual Leader

https://www.brestatlantiques.com/
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Blog Entries

Conditions Deteriorate In Southern Atlantic Ocean

TRACKER

Posted on 17.11.2019
    Here is the word of the edge sent Sunday, November 18 by Ronan Gladu, media man aboard Actual Leader.

"Life is always tough on Actual Leader, as we start this third day (or fourth, I do not know!) To fight with this storm in the South Atlantic.We have not seen the sun since Rio it's raining and getting colder as we plunge into the south.We are no longer upwind, the sea is still rotten, but less frequently: the boat is accelerating on "flat" sanction twice worse at the first double inflating wave: even more violent and scary!

So, by dint of maltreating the trimaran, the break happens: yesterday Saturday at nightfall, the "aero cover" was torn off in a wave. Below and only part of it, on the wind and on the port side. What is this thing ? It is the fairing located behind the front beam, for a better flow of air, which also holds ... all the net !! If the tarpaulin is loose, it's all the "trampoline" on the port side that goes to the water: catastrophic. Yves and Alex fought until the night to stop the bleeding. For the moment, it holds. But we must absolutely consider a real repair, only there, the sea is dismounted ... And there is another urgency: the front of the storm is getting dangerously close behind us!

The repair of fortune has put us in a delicate situation: according to our router, the front is only 30 miles and it is moving towards us at an indeterminate speed (20 to 35 knots wholesale). If it catches us, the wind will give and weaken ... And we will find ourselves behind, without wind, with the sea dismounted: the race will be over. We must be able to grow in the anticyclone that is in front, with the others. For that, we must stay ahead until Monday morning.

But the rain increases in intensity, the wind begins to weaken, and turn northwest: it is the cat, it arrives! Shuffle-down fight on board: we remove a laugh? No, we send the J2! And off you go for a crazy run with the clouds that will last most of the night. Alex briefs me, one hand on each listening: You see, that's the direction of the wind: below 10 °, we're dead. Below 20 knots of wind, it's cooked too! The anemometer is constantly evolving, until the wind is 14 knots lower at 345 ° ... Yves grunts, Alex hides his eyes so as not to see the numbers, "it can still be a grain in front of the forehead, if it is the case, it will leave strong, pay attention.

Paf, suddenly the wind rises to 25-28 knots at 15 °, the trimaran buzzes, flies to the down (it goes from 18 to 30, 35 knots speed!) ... Impossible to stand up, our hearts are jumping while Alex shocks everything he can, while trying not to be shipped by the listening and the movements of the boat. All this on the background of wind, driving rain, whistling, carbon crackling and howling tips that slip on the winches!

It's hot, but at least we're in front, until the next soft! Me, I'm literally scared, throbbing at 100 miles. I ended up going to take refuge in my bunk: literally clinging to the carbon with each acceleration, the boat ends up jumping on a wave. Silence and high the heart, then terrible crash at the reception - the body sinks into the pouf - to end with the "whiplash". Characteristic effect of carbon multihulls, the little deformation of the platform is transmitted as a shock wave in the boat, in our bodies. A bit like an earthquake. In short, I obviously did not sleep at night and I have cramps everywhere, from being tense at each start ignited!

Yves & Alex did not sleep, of course. After a "beautiful plant", they reduced the J3 and continued to accelerate with the slightest laugh ... But they did it! Apparently, we have the second fastest average speed of the fleet tonight, even if it was with the clouds that we were fighting! There, we literally jump at more than 30 knots in a sea a little more tidy but with beautiful ramps, which still allow me to fly to the ceiling by writing these lines! We are still in #LifeLife mode, we took out our Gore-tex subcombinations to try to drive moisture away from the wax ... and from the boat: there is water everywhere at the bottom of the hull. It's been two days that I do not eat, I do not want to fly through the boat once on the "throne"! But I finally took the pleat of pissing in the middle of the cockpit and discussions ... #LifeLife. Tonight, the wind forced, "30 knots file", I hope that Yves and Alex will agree on a third laugh! "

Posted on 17.11.2019
    Slow in the night from Saturday to Sunday in a zone of weaker winds, Maxi Edmond de Rothschild regained momentum on Sunday, which allowed him to regress a little gap on his pursuers, in the order trimaran MACIF, Sodebo Ultim 3 and Actual Leader. The leader of "Brest Atlantiques" is expected next night at Gough Island, an island located on the edge of the ice exclusion zone, he will leave to starboard before attacking a series of gybes along of this "ZEG".

If the sea was a little eased this Sunday compared to Friday and Saturday, the messages sent this Sunday by the media men, who were finally able to type words on the keyboard of their computers, testify to the harshness of the conditions that the four trimarans from "Brest Atlantiques" endured for 48 hours. "It's been a few days since the mere fact of looking at a keyboard to write these few lines seemed unthinkable. The unique challenge of staying leaning front of a computer while the boat trying to break the record for the high jump in the middle of the South Atlantic was physically impossible to achieve for me " , explains Martin Keruzoré on Sodebo Ultim.

Before adding, about the state of mind of the skippers Thomas Coville and Jean-Luc Nélias: "After these three days of hell, they are this morning hidden under hoods, the drawn features, the mine of the bad days, eyes tired of fatigue. The South with the rhythm of its swell dictated the life on board, namely short sentences, many intonations and exclamations, in the most beautiful poetry. "

Similar sound for Yann Riou, the media man of Maxi Edmond de Rothschild: " Tonight we should arrive at the ice gate. It does not sound very engaging said like that ... But that also means we'll be done with that damn reaching edge! Three days we progress towards the sea in strong winds. So yes, it became a little less painful than leaving Rio, but it does not prevent, it's complicated. It's complicated to find the right compromise to go fast without the risk of damaging the boat. It's complicated to find sleep between two jumps of waves. And it's complicated to write this message with a keyboard that has a hard time staying on my lap. So yes, we may be a little cold, but we are rather happy to get there, in these famous fortieths ... "

Indeed, it is next night that the Maxi Edmond de Rothschild, having left at the end of the day the Tristan da Cunha Islands to port, is expected at Gough Island, an island located in the middle of the South Atlantic, to the northern limit of the ice exclusion zone ("ZEG"), in which trimarans are prohibited from entering. Slow down last night in a less windy area, Franck Cammas and Charles Caudrelier have since enjoyed a sea less "breaker-boat" to lengthen the stride, flashed at 33.4 knots average between 12h and 16h rankings! This allowed them to tighten the elastic band with their pursuers, the MACIF trimaran (François Gabart / Gwénolé Gahinet) being pointed at 16h to 103 miles (against 51 eight hours earlier), Sodebo Ultim 3 to 223, Actual Leader (Yves The Blevec / Alex Pella) at 340,see the testimony of Ronan Gladu ).

Arrived at Gough Island, which they leave to starboard, the leading boats will then slip under a high pressure in a westerly wind that will force them to multiply the gybes along the "ZEG", while behind them, Actual Leader should benefit from a gradual rise of this anticyclone to make a more direct route to Cape Town, where the four trimarans are expected in about fifteen hours from the night of Wednesday to Thursday.

Posted on 17.11.2019
    Here is the word of the edge sent this Sunday, November 17 by Martin Keruzoré, media man on Sodebo Ultim 3.

"It's been a few days since the simple act of looking at a keyboard to write you a few lines seemed unthinkable, not that the desire to let you know what we are going through on board is not there, but the only challenge. to stand leaning against a computer while the boat tries to break the high jump record in the middle of the South Atlantic was physically impossible for me to achieve.

Where to start this postcard ....

To see their faces after these three days of hellish sea, they are this morning hidden under hoods, drawn features, the look of bad days, eyes worn with fatigue. The South with the rhythm of its swell dictated the life on board, namely short sentences, many intonations and exclamations, in the most beautiful poetry. Periodically, tuned every minute, after having run at full speed in a crosswind on a large blue springboard breaking white, we find ourselves suspended, in silence, in full flight, or rather in free fall. Everything stops, the moment could be magic, weightlessness at 4 meters above a raging ocean, it could be if the trauma of the last fall was not anchored in us. We go down again, it's going to kick, a big blow, by reflex the body is sheathed, it's long, we wait, imminent impact. A dry sound of destruction reasons, it vibrates to the very depths of us, the body and the boat are in pain. The impression of falling back on a sea of ​​steel, a shock between two solid elements, that opposes everything.

In the cell where we live for almost two weeks, it's chaos. Lockers containing our stuff and our food are disemboweled, the floor is lined with objects of all kinds, an orange rolling in the wind, a sock that plays sponges, a cooler that serves as a toolbox. What can we do while we wait for the next wave, the next punishment, that continues to be inflicted days and nights since we left Rio? We will wait, continue to run the boat, continue to eat, live, (we will arrange after, promised ...) hoping to quickly see the end of the tunnel to do the accounts.

The night from Saturday to Sunday was profitable to trimaran MACIF (François Gabart / Gwénolé Gahinet) which halved the gap separating him from the leader, Maxi Edmond de Rothschild (Franck Cammas / Charles Caudrelier), braked in a zone of weaker winds that evacuated the passage of its competitors. At 8am this Sunday, the latter has 51 miles ahead of his immediate pursuer, while Sodebo Ultim 3 (Thomas Coville / Jean-Luc Nélias) points to 192 miles, Actual Leader (Yves Le Blevec / Alex Pella) to 315.

Aboard the Maxi Edmond de Rothschild, Charles Caudrelier evoked Saturday, in a video sent by the media man Yann Riou, the difficulty of finding the right compromise between speed and preservation of the equipment in the difficult conditions that the fleet encounters since Rio: "There there is wind, but especially a very bad sea, boats suffer, it's hard to know where to place the cursor. We are on the brake, we try to lock on the speed of MACIF, without doing too much. The boat can go much faster but the sea is not good, the difficulty is to go fast without breaking anything in thirty days, it is not easy. "

Sunday is expected to be fairly fast for the four trimarans, which are still downwind in a northeasterly wind of about 20 knots, weakening as they approach Gough Island, an island in the middle of the sea. South Atlantic and at the northern limit of the forbidden zone of ice, that they will leave to starboard the next night. They should then be slowed south of an anticyclone that will gradually rise, giving the opportunity to Actual Leader to make a more direct route to Cape Town, where the first are expected in the night from Wednesday to Thursday, Actual Leader in the day of Thursday. The last routes giving about fifteen hours between the latter and the passage of the leader, Maxi Edmond de Rothschild.

Photo: Ronan Gladu / Actual Leader

Blog Entries

South Atlantic Highs And Lows

Always leader of "Brest Atlantiques", the Maxi Edmond de Rothschild, after passing Sunday at 1h45 (French time) the longitude of Gough Island, now evolves between an anticyclone and the forbidden zone of ice, which will force him to some gybes. Behind, the trimaran MACIF remains on the lookout, while Sodebo Ultim 3 is slowed by the breakage of his rudder starboard, which should allow Actual Leader to return to him.

At the head of "Brest Atlantiques" since the race was completely revived at the crossing of Rio, the Maxi Edmond de Rothschild (Franck Cammas / Charles Caudrelier), after 24 hours between Sunday and Monday morning at very high speed, was slowed then that it is now evolving in the fortieths. Blame it on an anticyclone positioned very south, under which it is passing in a rather weak wind (10-15 knots) and especially of west, which forces it to progress towards the east by gybing. And as the ice exclusion zone, in which he can not penetrate, prevents him from diving south to find stronger wind, his room for maneuver is bound to be limited.

TRACKER

This situation will allow the immediate pursuer of Maxi Edmond de Rothschild, the trimaran MACIF, passed Monday at 8:30 at the longitude of Gough Island, or 6:45 after him, to pick a few miles in the coming hours, even if François Gabart and Gwénolé Gahinet should in turn be slowed down by this anticyclone. Behind, Sodebo Ultim 3 had to reduce the pace since he was victim last night at 0:30 of a shock with an unidentified floating object that caused the breakage of the starboard saffron, disabling especially as the trimaran sails port tack (wind coming from the left of the boat). Still, if Thomas Coville and Jean-Luc Nélias logically lose ground compared to their competitors, they manage to maintain speeds of 20-25 knots,

Sodebo Ultim 3 is expected at the longitude of Gough Island around 19-20h, French time, followed very closely by Actual Leader (Yves Le Blevec / Alex Pella), the two boats, separated by 30 miles in the ranking of 16h, should then benefit from a northward rise of the anticyclone which is currently braking their two rivals at the head of the race to "pull more straight" towards Cape Town. Cape Town, the second and last course mark of "Brest Atlantiques", where the Maxi Edmond de Rothschild is, according to the latest routes, expected Wednesday evening.

Photo: Jérémie Eloy / MACIF trimaran

Posted on 18.11.2019
    The Maxi Edmond de Rothschild crossed Sunday at 1h45 (French time) the longitude of Gough Island, island located in the middle of the South Atlantic, which he passed 4 miles north, along the ice exclusion zone. to 1.5 thousand. Franck Cammas and Charles Caudrelier took advantage of good skiing conditions to sign a day at 738 miles between Sunday and Monday morning 8am (average speed of 30.75 knots), which allowed them to increase their lead over the second one more. , the trimaran MACIF (François Gabart). At 8 o'clock, it is 125 miles behind the leader while he passed in turn around 8:30 the longitude of Gough Island, or 6:45 later.

Behind, Sodebo Ultim 3 has slowed down his race in the night because of the breakage of his rudder starboard. " That night around 0:30 (French time), Sodebo Ultim 3 hit an OFNI (unidentified floating object) at the starboard rudder. The trimaran advanced at 35 knots reaching a sea formed 200 miles west of Tristan da Cunha, heading for Cape Town, the second crossing point of Brest Atlantic. Thomas Coville, Jean-Luc Nélias and Martin Keruzoré are safe on the boat. They are waiting for the sunrise to make a more precise inventory. More info to come in the day, " said a statement from the team.

The race director was informed by Jean-Christophe Moussard, Team Sodebo's manager, and is closely following the Sodebo Ultim 3 trajectory, clocked at 8am to 325 miles from Maxi Edmond de Rothschild and about 250 miles from Gough Island. "The broken saffron is the one in the water, it has necessarily led to reduce the canvas, hence the decline in speed found in the night," said race director Jacques Caraës. Actual Leader (Yves Le Blevec / Alex Pella), 392 miles from the leader, should get closer to Sodebo Ultim 3 in the day, the two boats will also benefit from a rise of the anticyclone under which is passing Maxi Edmond de Rothschild in a westerly westerly wind (10-12 knots) to make a more direct route to Cape Town.

These modern foilers are fast until they hit something.

Blog Entries

A Maxi Ultim Underway Sail Repair

Sailing double-handed, particularly on machines like these, is a unique exercise in offshore racing.
    The sailors often say that it’s similar to singlehanded sailing albeit in relay, aside for the major manoeuvres,
    which are carried out as a duo for greater speed! Aboard the Maxi Edmond de Rothschild, the division of tasks
    between Franck Cammas and Charles Caudrelier is clear: one of them inspects and the other gets down to the repairs!
    Through Yann Riou’s lens, we discover a somewhat humorous side of this job share that’s not exactly fair…

Blog Entries

Actual Leader Slips Into 3rd

TRACKER

Posted on 19.11.2019
    After two weeks at sea, the fleet of "Brest Atlantiques" has tightened for several hours because of a favorable weather conditions for boats coming from behind that take advantage of the rise of the Saint Helena high pressure to spin straight ahead. , where the leader, Maxi Edmond de Rothschild, has chained six gybes. The latter is expected Wednesday night in Cape Town, the second and final mark of course, where the fourth, Sodebo Ultim 3, will stop about ten hours later.

The big smiles are out on Actual Leader! If Yves Le Blevec and Alex Pella suffered enormously after Rio when they had to face for three days of Dantesque conditions (strong wind, sea chop face) who have sought their trimaran, less aerial than the others, the second part of the South Atlantic is much more favorable to them, since at each ranking, they reduce their delay on the head of the fleet.

The reason for this tightening? The first in the ice exclusion zone, the Maxi Edmond de Rothschild (Franck Cammas / Charles Caudrelier) found himself wedged under the Saint Helena high pressure, positioned particularly low, which forced him to weave, wind in the back, in fairly weak wind, between this anticyclone and the famous "ZEG". On Tuesday afternoon, the two skippers were at their fifth jibe, probably the penultimate, while behind them, the trimaran MACIF (François Gabart / Gwénolé Gahinet), second at 135 miles, will have made two , Actual Leader and Sodebo Ultim 3 (Thomas Coville / Jean-Luc Nélias), thanks to the gradual rise of the anticyclone to the north, having fired straight ahead, without jibing!

Yves Le Blevec and Alex Pella, who take advantage of the current conditions (three-quarter rear wind, relatively flat sea) to break their speed records since leaving Brest (31.25 knots between 8am and 16pm), have also benefited the forced slowdown of Sodebo Ultim 3, following the breakage of the starboard rudder, to seize third place. What made Yves Le Blevec say Tuesday morning: "Obviously, it would be lying to say that this place won in the ranking does not represent a satisfaction for the crew of Actual Leader. It is rather the satisfaction of keeping the pace of the race and be close enough to our competitors to take advantage of the slightest opportunity, it is this strategy that we follow from the beginning with Alex. "

Indeed, the two skippers had to fight at the beginning of the Rio-Cape crossing by sometimes forcing on their boat to stay in the same system as their faster competitors, their tenacity is rewarded. Still, the skipper of La Trinité-sur-Mer speaks of "cautious and measured satisfaction" , adding: "The race is still long, the game is incredibly open and it can happen so many things until the finish that everything triumphalism would be vain and out of place. "

Its similarly wrong with François Gabart at a session held on Tuesday to employees of the Macif in Niort: "The situation we have been rather favorable compared to Maxi Edmond de Rothschild, we have not said our last word , But a lot remains to be done. This is in any case a super tight scenario, Actual Leader is 200 miles behind us, so to say nothing at all, it is rather a pleasant surprise after 15 days at sea.

The program for the next 24 hours? Ride fast to Cape Town, where the Maxi Edmond de Rothschild is expected on Wednesday night, and Thomas Coville and Jean-Luc Nélias will stop to make a more accurate diagnosis of the damage caused by the breakage of Sodebo's starboard rudder Ultim 3, then roll up Robben Island, where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for almost 18 years, which they will have to leave to port before attacking the road back to Brittany ... still far away.

Photo: Yann Riou / PolaRyse / Gitana SA

Returning from Salvador de Bahia where he finished a very good sixth place of the Transat Jacques Vabre en Imoca with Clarisse Crémer on Banque Populaire X, first drift boat on the finish line, Armel Le Cléac'h did not missed, including while at sea, to follow "Brest Atlantiques", he waiting for 2021 his future trimaran Ultim, Banque Populaire XI. He delivers his analysis of the first part of the race.

Have you been able to follow "Brest Atlantiques" since the departure on November 5th?
    Yes, I followed the start of the race at sea, when I was on Jacques Vabre, I tried to look at the rankings, and even if I did not have the pictures, the team also gave me some news . After, just after our arrival in Bahia, the Maxi Edmond de Rothschild stopped there for his stopover, so we could see Franck and Charles during this "pit stop". And since, I'm very close to the course of the race, with the general regrouping in Rio, the few very difficult days they had after, the situation was quite exceptional because it is very rare to have up close like that to go down to South Africa. At the weather level, I'm interested in following their trajectories and of course, in the perspective of our future trimaran Banque Populaire, I am very attentive to everyone's performance.

After Rio, they did indeed have three days in the near and swell face, they all came out without big break, it's reassuring?
    Yes, it's encouraging, because these are the conditions in which the boats are most in demand, when we start putting the foot on the brake and we can not go to 100% of the polar, because it's all everywhere. We had lived this last year on the Route du Rhum, it had caused some important problems, there, clearly, the test is passed and the four boats are still in the race, even if Sodebo will stop, but not for a problem related to this weather. Making the boats reliable in all conditions is one of the important issues of the first step that we want to take with the Ultim 32/23 class, it's very positive that they have gone through this, because it's more difficult to live that strong winds downwind in the South Seas, where you suffered much less the sea. Now,

The only major damages were consecutive to shocks with unidentified floating objects, there is nothing to do against that?
    Unfortunately, we realize that on all races, boats have this kind of damage, we saw on the Transat Jacques Vabre with Alex Thomson who lost his keel, and indeed on "Brest Atlantiques" for all boats, except Actual Leader. And as our Ultims go faster, the shocks are even more violent when they occur, which inevitably causes a problematic problem for the performance and safety of the boats. Now, do not think that there is nothing to do. One will never avoid the shocks, but one can perhaps find solutions to work on a better resistance of the parts, to have less complicated planes carriers to repair. What is certain is that with the Team Banque Populaire, it is part of the elements that we will reflect, given, in particular,"Brest Atlantiques" .

How do you analyze the performance of the four boats?
    We feel that the Maxi Edmond de Rothschild, as soon as it squeezes the wind a little, has an ease in speed, they have an ability to accelerate that do not necessarily have the others, it is a bit in the continuity of this that we had seen in 2018. Now, François and Gwénolé are not far behind, especially as the weather helps them to come back a little, and I think that the conditions after Cape Town can favor them. The game is still very open until Brest, they have just spent half of the race, I think it will happen a lot of things by the time of arrival. Behind, it is necessarily more complicated for Sodebo with the breakage of their saffron, but they too have shown beautiful things since the start, and Actual Leader plays with his cards, we know that the boat is a little slower, but it is the only one not to have had major damage, which also allows him to remain in contact. We realize that as soon as there is a damage, it is quickly counted in a few hundred miles. When we look at the cartography today, the boats are still very close, it's great! And in view of the weather after Cape Town, it does not look simple, I think it will open perspectives of different strategies. I love to follow the race and it makes you want! I think it will open perspectives of different strategies. I love to follow the race and it makes you want! I think it will open perspectives of different strategies. I love to follow the race and it makes you want!

Are you thinking about your future trimaran Ultim when you see the pictures sent by the media men?
    Yes, completely. I try to imagine also when I see their trajectories and the weather what kind of sails they have, how they lead the boat, it was just interesting to see the speeds they could hold after Rio in the sea. There are things we notice, because today we are a little orphan, we will have to wait even more than a year to get our boat, so if we can get rich by looking at others , We did it. "Brest Atlantiques" is a great lesson for us, because the conditions are very varied and the boats are different.

Will you be in Brest to welcome them?
    Yes of course ! I have not yet looked at the arrival estimates, but I will be happy to welcome them, hoping that the four will be on arrival, this is the priority.

Photo: Easy Ride / BPCE

Yves Le Blevec commented on Tuesday morning the passage of Actual Leader in the third place of Brest Atlantiques.

"Actual Leader, third in Brest Atlantiques: my vision of our new position in the rankings ...

Yesterday, at the end of the day we doubled Thomas and Jean-Luc on Sodebo, we did not see ourselves physically, only through the AIS. We could have called by VHF, but I think neither of them had the heart to start a conversation in this kind of situation. Simple and cruel.

Obviously, it would be a lie to say that this place gained in the ranking does not represent a satisfaction for the crew of Actual Leader. It is rather the satisfaction of having kept the pace of the race and being close enough to our competitors to take advantage of less opportunity, it is this strategy that we follow from the beginning with Alex.

Prudent and measured satisfaction, what happened to Sodebo can happen to us as well. Whether it is an external element or a technical breakage, we are not immune to the same kind of mishap ... And our competitors will not wait for us. The race is still long, the game is incredibly open and so much can happen until the finish that any triumphalism would be vain and out of place.

I sincerely wish Thomas and Jean-Luc to rally Cape Town quickly and to be able to resume the race at the earliest, the potential of their boat and the weather hazards can put them back in the game quickly. On board Actual Leader, Alex and I continue on our steady and steady pace, as of tonight we will stop moving away from the start, we are getting closer to the finish. "

Yves

After the Maxi Edmond de Rothschild at 1:45 and the trimaran MACIF at 8:30, Sodebo Ultim 3 then Actual Leader have in turn crossed the longitude of Gough Island at the limit of the ice exclusion zone at 18:50 and 19:30 respectively. Yves Le Blevec and Alex Pella, "the elbow on the door at 30 knots" , to use the expression of the first in a video sent by his media man Ronan Gladu, seized shortly after the third place at the expense of Thomas Coville and Jean-Luc Nélias, while the mid-distance race has been reached by the entire fleet.

The two skippers of Sodebo Ultim 3 spent much of their day on Monday trying to get rid of the broken starboard rudder in the night in a clash with an OFNI. The latter hung in the back of the float that was damaged by contact with the sea, hence the need for Thomas Coville to enter the float to get him down, which he has obviously managed to do, as the attests the spectacular video sent Monday night by Martin Keruzoré, who probably had to play the equilibrists to manage to film this perilous operation.

Thomas Coville and Jean-Luc Nélias have announced their next stop in Cape Town, where they should arrive Thursday night. Meanwhile, despite this rudder and less, they continue to maintain a good average of 26.5 knots between the rankings from 4am to 8am Tuesday, faster than that of Actual Leader (25.8), which is ahead of 30 miles at 8 o'clock.

At the head of the fleet, the Maxi Edmond de Rothschild is at its third jibe south of the St. Helena anticyclone, which begins to go up north, opening the door to Sodebo Ultim 3 and Actual Leader, the fourth and last should quickly follow in the morning for the leader who, if it is more road, has picked up speed (32.3 knots average between 4am and 8am). 800 km from Cape Town, Franck Cammas and Charles Caudrelier are 51 miles ahead of François Gabart and Gwénolé Gahinet, who made their first jibe this morning and will have to stall a second just before the ice exclusion zone. The program then for all, a long speed edge to Cape Town, where the fleet is expected in a dozen hours between Wednesday and Thursday.

Here is the word of the board sent this Tuesday, November 19th by Ronan Gladu, media man aboard Actual Leader.

"The news is good on Actual Leader! Finally, finally, we doubled this depression, even if the wind remained strong for 24 hours, the sea has only calmed down. Stress came down and sleep was restorative

Yves & Alex can be proud of their performance, they have stayed well in the game Now that the weather is in our favor, we go back well! The head of the fleet abuts in the Saint Helena anticyclone, obliged to make a great detour and a lot of maneuvers.For us, it's 'red carpet', flat sea, we continue to go straight ahead with the wind of the depression. to repair the net, we are well aware of being lucky, "of success" as they say.

We are all the more aware of this because of Sodebo's misfortunes. It can happen to us, anytime, to be smart at more than 30 knots. So, big thoughts for Thomas, Jean-Luc, Martin, as well as the entire Sodebo team: you will fix it quickly in Cape Town and come back stress, I'm sure, the race is still long!

Since yesterday, we are in the "Roaring Forties" ... How I'm going to fart grave! Not yet enough to "piss against the wind" like a Cape Horrnier ... but maybe what to do a little pee "upwind a bit unbridled" ?!

Whaha, anyway yesterday, passing near the island of Gouth, it was magic. Even though we only saw a small piece of rock in the distance, through the clouds ... we had the right to a sunset! The sun, we had forgotten that one. As a bonus, all around the boat, hundreds of birds, including some albatrosses: great show!

Negative point of these 40th ... It quails, severe. The apparent wind bites hard, Alex took out the hood. Inside, carbon is not a very good insulator, let alone with open hatches. Suddenly, I jealous the sleeping bags of the space of Yves and Alex, inner toupee, outdoor gore-tex. It must be said that I am frozen in my m .... "10 °" of "sports supermarket"!
    At the same time, it's my fault: Sandrine, the team manager, had offered me the same, I should have accepted. Apparently, we are lucky to have wind from north, otherwise I would have turned into ice cube. And then with summer, we will quickly find the heat back. So much for today, the morale is at the top, the machine launched full ball at 30 knots by 42 ° south ... "

Photo: Ronan Gladu / Actual Leader

Looks like he who does not break it will win it!

Blog Entries

Sodebo Loses Aft Part Of Starboard Float

Posted on 19.11.2019
    Following the damage encountered on the starboard rudder, the last 36 hours were loaded aboard Sodebo Ultim 3. Guided by their team ashore, Thomas Coville and Jean-Luc Nélias have been busy with the diagnosis and security of the aircraft. boat. Last night, after securing the rig, they lost the stern of the starboard float. This does not hinder their progress towards South Africa. Sodebo Ultim 3 is currently 880 miles from Cape Town, where the technical stop is organized to accommodate it within 48 hours.

The starboard rudder flopping 90 degrees to its proper position.

Following the shock of yesterday that led to the loss of saffron, the cracked float disengaged from the boat at the end of the day. After new investigations by Thomas and Jean-Luc, the break seems clear. Many hours of work were necessary to ensure the smooth running of the boat and limit further damage. In the routing cell, Thierry Douillard wishes to underline "the incredible marine sense of Thomas and Jean Luc, who know how to move from a pure competition mode to the very pragmatic one of reason and the coolness to manage difficult situations, despite fatigue and disappointment ".

In South Africa, the stopover is getting ready. The equipment left yesterday, and three members of the team will be on site from Tuesday evening: François Duguet, the boat captain, Frédéric Gastinel, the mechanical / hydraulic / fittings manager and Patrice Richardot, composite technician. Contacts with local actors have already been established to meet any material and human needs. Another part of the team will arrive in Cape Town on Wednesday and will be able, at the arrival of the boat on Thursday, to draw up a structural assessment and estimate the time to spend on repairs. The decision on the action to be taken can then be taken. The commitment and determination of the men are intact: they will do everything necessary to allow the last born of the Ultims and his crew to leave as soon as possible.

Word of the Edge // Story by Martin Keruzoré this Tuesday, November 19th

The two seamen react and think to secure the rig if one of its anchor points was to be weakened thereafter. The relay is carried out quickly with the routing cell on the ground and the operation can begin. For my part, I am there, attentive and spectator of this scene, this duo, even in situations like this one, shows a calm and a great marine direction. Thomas has to put on the harness again to get into the stay and put a guard on it. The light darkens, the end of the day approaches, the mast is in good hands, a terrestrial aside cheers up this end of episode with the passage to the wind of Gough Island, a lost island to the diving cliffs in the South Atlantic and the summits lost in the clouds. A few minutes later, Sodebo Ultim 3 is releasing again of a part of the back float which did not support the perpetual assaults of the Ocean. This morning, we are still heading towards Cape Town at over 30 knots, the lee hull flying in balance on its foil. Have a nice day. "Martin