Thread: Vendee Globe To Start As Scheduled!

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Vendee Globe To Start As Scheduled!

Kito de Pavant © KITO DE PAVANT/ VENDÉE GLOBE
    The start of the 9th Vendée Globe will take place on November 8, off Sables d'Olonne. This was confirmed by the Board of Directors of SAEM Vendée, the organizing company of the Vendée Globe, this Monday, June 8, a symbolic date since it is also World Ocean Day, five months before the Vendée Globe start.

Since the closing of the registration nominations on November 1st, 35 candidates have set themselves up to be on the starting line. As it stands today 18 skippers are already officially registered.

The SAEM Vendée also took the decision to set up a Start Village, which will open on Saturday 17th October. It will turn into the Race Village on 8th November then the Finish Village to welcome the skippers home from their round the world race. The arrangements for the general public will be adapted to public health requirements which may affect sporting events and they will have to be approved by the relevant authorities.

Yves Auvinet, President of the SAEM Vendée: “We promised to clarify the situation for the Vendée Globe fleet, partners and other bodies before 15th June and that has now been done. We are proud to have been able to maintain this sporting event and the start of the ninth edition on the 8th November. The race will take place and it looks highly likely that it will be one of the most breathtaking in the history of solo round the world racing. Our teams are working flat out to come to be able to give the best welcome possible to the general public.”

Five dates for your diary before 8th November
    At 1202hrs UTC on 8th November, the ninth Vendée Globe will begin with its entrants setting off in this non-stop solo race around the world without assistance… but with a lot of excitement. Even if the lockdown period led to an interruption in the calendar of events that was initially in place, the 2020-2021 Vendée Globe could still become a record-breaker, starting with the number of competitors on the start line on 8th November*.

Kito de Pavant © KITO DE PAVANT/ VENDÉE GLOBE
    The start of the 9th Vendée Globe will take place on November 8, off Sables d'Olonne. This was confirmed by the Board of Directors of SAEM Vendée, the organizing company of the Vendée Globe, this Monday, June 8, a symbolic date since it is also World Ocean Day, five months before the Vendée Globe start.

Since the closing of the registration nominations on November 1st, 35 candidates have set themselves up to be on the starting line. As it stands today 18 skippers are already officially registered.

The SAEM Vendée also took the decision to set up a Start Village, which will open on Saturday 17th October. It will turn into the Race Village on 8th November then the Finish Village to welcome the skippers home from their round the world race. The arrangements for the general public will be adapted to public health requirements which may affect sporting events and they will have to be approved by the relevant authorities.

© Vendée Globe
    Yves Auvinet, President of the SAEM Vendée: “We promised to clarify the situation for the Vendée Globe fleet, partners and other bodies before 15th June and that has now been done. We are proud to have been able to maintain this sporting event and the start of the ninth edition on the 8th November. The race will take place and it looks highly likely that it will be one of the most breathtaking in the history of solo round the world racing. Our teams are working flat out to come to be able to give the best welcome possible to the general public.”

Five dates for your diary before 8th November
    At 1202hrs UTC on 8th November, the ninth Vendée Globe will begin with its entrants setting off in this non-stop solo race around the world without assistance… but with a lot of excitement. Even if the lockdown period led to an interruption in the calendar of events that was initially in place, the 2020-2021 Vendée Globe could still become a record-breaker, starting with the number of competitors on the start line on 8th November*.

- Saturday 4th July: Vendée – Arctique – Les Sables d’Olonne
    The lockdown led to the cancellation of The Transat CIC and the New York - Vendée Les Sables d’Olonne, and the IMOCA class has set up a brand new race, supported by its headline partner, the Vendée department and the town of Les Sables d’Olonne: the Vendée – Arctique – Les Sables d’Olonne. A 3600-mile race with the start and finish line in place off Les Sables d’Olonne, with waypoints to the West of Iceland and the North of the Azores. The planned start date is 4th July.

Tuesday 1st September: registrations close and date by which they have to complete any additional qualifiers
    Seven skippers and their boats have to complete an additional 2,000-mile solo qualifier approved by the Race Directors. Initially planned for 1st July, the period during which they have to complete this additional qualifying distance has been pushed back to 1st September. This is also the date on which registrations close.

Thursday 17th September: press conference
    The Vendée Globe press conference will take place at the Palais Brongniart in Paris respecting the public health measures that are in place at that point. This is a useful and symbolic date coming exactly one month before the start village opens.

Friday 16th October: arrival at the Vendée Globe pontoon
    All of the boats registered for the ninth Vendée Globe have to be present to be measured on the Vendée Globe pontoon in Les Sables d'Olonne on by 1900hrs local time on Friday 16th October.

Saturday 17th October: official opening of the Start Village
    Open for three weeks, the Start Village will be the perfect place for everyone to get together. It will be adapted to the circumstances at that point and the public health rules laid down by the government.

Sunday 8th November: 1202hrs UTC: start of the ninth Vendée Globe
    While the start will be from the South Nouch buoy off Les Sables d’Olonne, the event will already be in full swing from the early hours that day with the boats leaving the pontoons and making their way out of the legendary harbour entrance in Les Sables d’Olonne.

The state of play with the skippers:

As it stands 18 skippers have completed their registration. 17 still have to sail a 2,000-mile solo course or compete in and finish the equivalent of a transatlantic race, or complete their registration paperwork for the Vendée Globe.

- 18 registered:
    Fabrice Amedeo (Newrest – Arts & Fenêtres), Romain Attanasio (Pure – Best Western), Alexia Barrier (4myPlanet), Yannick Bestaven (Maître CoQ IV), Jérémie Beyou (Charal), Arnaud Boissières (La Mie Câline – Artisans Artipôle), Manuel Cousin (Groupe Sétin), Clarisse Crémer (Banque Populaire X), Charlie Dalin (Apivia), Samantha Davies (GBR, Initiatives-Cœur), Benjamin Dutreux (Water Family – Oceania Hôtels), Kevin Escoffier (PRB), Boris Herrmann (ALL, Seaexplorer – Yacht Club de Monaco), Jean le Cam (Yes we Cam !), Stéphane le Diraison (Time for Oceans), Miranda Merron (GBR, Campagne de France), Giancarlo Pedote (ITA, Prysmian Group), Alan Roura (SUI, La Fabrique).

- 17 skippers have to complete their registration:
    . 7 have to sail an additional qualifying distance: Louis Burton (Bureau Vallée 2), Conrad Colman (USA and NZ, Ethical Racing), Didac Costa (ESP, One Planet One Ocean), Sébastien Destremau (AUS and FRA, FaceOcean), Sébastien Simon (Arkea – Paprec), Alex Thomson (GBR, Hugo Boss) and Nicolas Troussel (Corum L’Epargne).
    . 4 have to sail a solo transatlantic race (or its equivalent) to complete their qualification: Isabelle Joschke (GER and FRA, Macsf), Clément Giraud (Monsieur et Madame), Kojiro Shiraishi (DMG Mori) and Armel Tripon (L’Occitane en Provence).
    . 6 have already completed their requirements: Ari Huusela (Stark), Eric Nigon (Vers un monde sans Sida), Thomas Ruyant (LinkedOut), Damien Seguin (Groupe Apicil), Maxime Sorel (VandB – Mayenne).

*The records we can look forward to: The Vendée Globe will probably welcome six women this time, which represents 17% of the fleet, 12 skippers from outside of France (34%), 17 who have already taken part and 18 boats with foils.
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Adapting To Trying Circumstances

To reconnect with competition and life in the open sea, to qualify for the Vendée Globe ... and possibly win, the Vendée-Arctique-Les Sables d'Olonne, which will start on July 4 at 3:30 p.m., contains a thousand challenges.

This first edition, organized to replace the New York-Vendée-Les Sables d'Olonne which should have started on June 16, is an essential step for skippers in their preparation for the solo round the world trip which will start on November 8. This demanding and attractive new route to Iceland and the Azores also gives you dreams in a very particular context. The event is indeed one of the first sporting events to be resumed after confinement and everyone had to adapt.

Indeed, the health crisis and the confinement of two months have greatly disrupted the planning of sports teams and it is a first performance to have 21 boats and skippers in race configuration after these adventures, as Jérémie Beyou explains ( Charal ): “ It was necessary to be able to work differently to meet sporting objectives which remain identical despite a much reduced time. Everything was timed from the arrival of the Transat Jacques Vabre in late 2019 to the start of the Vendée Globe in late 2020 and we had to rework the entire calendar. Mentally, you prepare yourself in a very precise plan and to question that, whereas you programmed, it is not simple. "

MARINATE AND ACCLIMATIZE
    The emergency takes many forms. It is urgent to put to the test the sailors who must learn to compose with more and more powerful, fast, violent machines, to acclimatize the bodies to the sea and to allow them also to compile, in ten twelve days consecutive sea, lonely navigator reflexes. For Clarisse Crémer ( Banque Populaire X ), an enthusiastic bizuth of the IMOCA Class, the stage is daunting. " The Vendée Arctic-Les Sables d'Olonnewill be my first solo race in IMOCA, it's not a small stage! Even if I want to go fast and make a good trajectory, I will especially be focused on my boat and me. I'm going to focus on taking my first starting line on my own, managing my boat well, thinking carefully about my maneuvers and my strategy. This race is a big goal for me who was not predestined to integrate such a beautiful team, I necessarily feel apprehension. Finishing the race, honoring my team and not being caught out as a sailor are already good goals. "

EXPERIENCE THE BOATS
    Braked in their development plan, design offices and technical teams count on this race to test, pass a course or work on performance. In the ARKEA PAPREC team , one of the challenges is to test the new pair of foils just put in place. " As I only received the foils a short time before the start, I don't set myself a target for results, " explains Sablais Sébastien Simon . “ Above all, I have to understand how my boat behaves with these new foils. I project myself into the race with a little apprehension. It is not trivial, these foils are seven meters wide: they bring a lot of power.»Power that must be learned to master and to which the body must also be acclimated. Skipper of MACSF , one of the four women on the field, Isabelle Joschke approaches the event with caution: “ I must admit that it is not always a pleasure to sail on a foiler. My February training allowed me to learn what I was going to face this winter. It's fun when the boat is going fast but, as soon as there is sea, it's very unpleasant. When you are on the boat, you have to hang everywhere, it can be dangerous. "The objective on the race:"I want to know how far I can push the boat, while having enough energy to last another week, then another and another because the world tour will be very long. "

TO QUALIFY
    The Vendée-Arctique-Les Sables d'Olonne represents the last opportunity to fulfill the qualification conditions for the Vendée Globe during the race . Five of the seven skippers who still have to meet sporting prerequisites will be leaving from Les Sables d'Olonne this July 4th. For Sébastien Simon, carried by a new boat, the constraint weighing on his shoulders is " summed up " at 2,000 miles. For Isabelle Joschke (MACSF), Clément Giraud ( Towards a world without AIDS ), the Japanese Kojiro Shiraishi ( DMG Mori Global One ) and Armel Tripon ( L'Occitane en Provence), it is a question of joining the finish line. The Nantais currently faces an unexpected challenge: his IMOCA touched an OFNI, an unidentified floating object, during a navigation last weekend. The damage (a hole in the bow and a damaged rudder) is serious. It is an express site which awaits its team in order to allow the skipper to take the start of this crucial race.

FOOT TO FLOOR
    17 of the 21 solo sailors left freed from the qualification obligations, and will therefore be able to release the horses and the progress of their IMOCA. Perched on latest generation monohulls, Jérémie Beyou (Charal), Charlie Dalin ( Apivia ) and Thomas Ruyant ( LindkedOut ) are natural favorites. " There is a starting line and a finishing line so, inevitably, it makes you a little nervous, " laughs Jérémie Beyou. "If we could get a result, it would be good because it would reward everyone's efforts. We are trying to find out where we stand in relation to the others and whether the choices have been good. And, in case, on a small notebook, we already have modifications to make during the summer, to modulate the boat. "Winner of the 2019 Transat Jacques Vabre for the first official release of Apivia, with Yann Eliès, Charlie Dalin sums up his trajectory:" The Vendée-Arctique-Les Sables d'Olonne will be an intermediate control stage, a sort of white bin before the Vendée Globe. Above all, it will be a return to competition, which I miss! I can't wait to find the particular taste for confrontation! "

Theoretical favorites, the three men will not lack adversity. Firstly because the plateau is dense and the boats, even of the previous generation, have made impressive progress in terms of performance. Jérémie Beyou: “ There are no more small teams: there are great developments in engineering and architecture. Even boats launched later than Charal have developed intelligent things. We say each time that the level increases? There, it is really obvious. New boats are going fast, slightly older boats have really improved. Difficult to bet on who will come out ahead. "

Finally, there will be a weather context to manage. Clarisse Crémer: " I hope that the weather conditions will be good so that we don't damage the boats too much, but I also need to deal with a somewhat 'hairy' weather ..." If the cold could push him to consider installing a heating system for the Vendée Globe, Sébastien Simon thinks that the triangle of 3566 miles between Sables d'Olonne, Iceland and the Azores, will undoubtedly force sailors to sail differently: “Conversely from what the Vendée Globe offers, we will not be able to flee the weather phenomena. "Actually, actors, right?

* As a reminder, the skippers will all leave their home port on July 3, one day before the start of the race after having been subjected to a PCR test. They will remain at sea until the cannon shot of July 4, 3:30 p.m.

Benjamin DUTREUX , skipper of the IMOCA Water Family , will not finally take the start of Vendée-Arctique-Les Sables d'Olonne for budgetary reasons. The skipper based in Les Sables d'Olonne nevertheless remains focused on the Vendée Globe for which he is already qualified and continues his search for partners.

Vendee-Arctique-Les Sables d'Olonne
    Designed for those sailors rekindling their ties with competition and life offshore, or qualifying for... and possibly winning the Vendee Globe, there is a great deal at stake for the sailors setting sail on the Vendee-Arctique-Les Sables d'Olonne on 4 July at 15:30hrs local time.

This first edition of this race, which has been organised as a replacement for the New York-Vendee-Les Sables d'Olonne originally due to set off on 16 June, is a key stage for the skippers preparing for the solo round the world race, which will set sail on 8 November. This demanding and attractive sprint up to Iceland and down to the Azores is also a source of great inspiration in what is a very special context. In fact, the race is one of the first sports events to take up again after the lockdown and everyone has had to adapt accordingly.

Having had to call a temporary halt on their development plan, the design offices and the technical teams are counting on this race to trial their boats, step things up a gear or work on performance. In the ARKEA PAPREC team, one of the challenges is to test the new pair of foils which have just been installed. "As I've only received the foils shortly before the start, I haven't set myself any goals with regards to results," explains event local Sebastien Simon. "Above all, I need to understand how my boat handles with these new foils. I feel a little apprehensive about my participation in this event as it's not an insignificant challenge. These foils are seven metres: they provide a lot of power."

17 of the 21 solo sailors will be free of any obligations to qualify, meaning they can put pedal to the metal on their IMOCAs. Perched on the latest generation monohulls, Jeremie Beyou (Charal), Charlie Dalin (Apivia) and Thomas Ruyant (LindkedOut) rank among the natural race favourites.

Thursday 25th June
    Start of safety checks in the boats' port of registry

From Monday 29th June To Thursday 2nd July
    9:30-10:00 hrs: 'ARCTIQUE CAFE' the daily press briefing with 6 skippers via a ZOOM video call for an efficient and LIVE Q&A with the media preparing to cover the event.

Tuesday 30th June
    End of safety checks
    11:00 hrs: Welcome, course and safety briefing (virtual)

Thursday 2nd July
    11:00 hrs: Weather briefing (virtual)

Friday 3rd July
    All boats depart to make the delivery trip to the start line in Les Sables d'Olonne

Saturday 4th July
    13:00 hrs: Deadline for competitors to arrive at the start zone
    15:30 hrs (LIVE TV) : Start of the Vendee-Arctique-Les Sables d'Olonne

From 14th July To 18th July
    Boats finish in Les Sables d'Olonne

www.imoca.org
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery