Thread: SSS Round the Rocks

SSS Round the Rocks

First Bay race with the boy as crew. He was very excited and a bit scared at the start, can't blame him, it was a pretty exciting experience with all the boats, the wind and the bump in the water. Fast and Fun day. A bit bummed the angle didn't hold to keep the kite up through the North Bay. Went back to white sails shortly after Racoon and re-hoisted about a mile from The Brothers.

We had the added excitement of breaking the main halyard as we were hoisting the main. Luckily it broke as it caught the lock inside the top of the mast. That meant we could go racing, but I had no way of unlocking the main to get it back down. After a trip up the rig, just made it to the forestay hound, I didn't think I could reach the top of the mast from the spinnakers fractional halyards. Its also freaking skinny up there on that rig. I came back down and instead we just quickly dropped the rig with the help of a couple of folks. Rig down, unlock the halyard, rig up, done. Should have been plan A.

Here is the kid rocking mid-teens on the way to the Richmond Bridge:
    https://youtu.be/qdNreVB2tf4

Finished at 2:36:05, little over 3 hours on course. Then proceeded to get a spanking crossing the slot. Still recovering.

COO of Unauthorized Sailing Divisions! war dog's Avatar
    Fantastic!!!

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

2020 Round The Rocks Brings Back The Smiles For Hundreds!

Yacht racing got back on it's feet over the weekend, with the 1st regatta outside of beer can events
    and junior single handed events, to be fully sanctioned by the USCG, via the SSS Round the Rocks regatta.

122 shorthanded boats signed up for the event, which was blessed with typical summer weather, a deep marine layer and
    heating in the inland valley brough wind in spades. Mid teens at the start on the Berkeley Flats, and a steady flood gave sailors
    a good workout up to the cityfront, with fleets splitting between course 1 and 2. One being the shorter,using Alcatraz and Harding as the weather marks
    and 2, using Blossom and Blackaller as its windward destinations.

The Brothers served as the leeward mark, with the vast majority taking Raccoon Straits as the preferred route. In a slightly unusual fashion, winds came from more of a WNW direction
    across the North Bay, so much so that kites were a rarity, more than the norm, making the 2020 edition more of a reaching race with playing the currents a bigger factor.

Result have yet to be posted, but we will present them when they become available...

Stay tuned

Selects Galleria
    Last edited by Photoboy; 08-10-2020 at 10:14 AM.
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

The boat makes tracks!...and jr. drives pretty good, too!

Yacht racing got back on it's feet over the weekend, with the 1st regatta outside of beer can events
    and junior single handed events, to be fully sanctioned by the USCG, via the SSS Round the Rocks regatta.
    Singlehanded Farallones.

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Results ARE POSTED

I reckon I need to get back to editing the rest of the photos...
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery