Thread: Light Air Les Sables

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Light Air Les Sables

PUBLISHED ON AUGUST 10, 2020
    Morlaix Bay sailors urged to arrive "home"

After three days of well-deserved rest following a first stage of short time, this Monday the 71 single handers still in contention in the Les Sables - The Azores in Bay of Morlaix left Port Olona to join Roscoff where will be judged the finish of the second round. At 3:14 p.m., after two general recalls, the Ministes began the 470 miles of the route that will take them first to the side of the island of Ré and then to Wolf Rock, pushed by a northwesterly wind blowing between 5 and 8 knots. In these conditions, Antoine Perrin (850 Hydroprocess) and Jean-Marie-Jézéquel (951 - Branchet /LPL), the two Carantécois of the race, clearly in a hurry to reach their lands, took control of their respective fleets (Proto and Series). However, the dice were far from being thrown. In fact, while the large storm cell feared by the sailors finally escaped in the morning, both are preparing to battle in small erratic airs on the first half of the course. Enough to make the ascent up to Ouessant difficult. Where the wind is expected to settle in the northern sector but also and above all to take turns to reach 15-22 knots. Enough to guarantee a relatively toned second half of the race. In this general context, arrivals could be well spread out since according to the latest routings, the first Protos are expected at the port of Bloscon Thursday mid-afternoon, and the first Series Friday in the early morning.

Initially scheduled for 1 p.m. on Monday, the start of the second act of Les Sables - Les Azores in The Bay of Morlaix was initially delayed at 2:30 p.m. to allow a storm cell to pass, and finally launched at 3:14 p.m., after two general recalls. Antoine Perrin, third in the first stage in the Proto category, perfectly negotiated the first miles of the race, winding the clearing buoy with a certain Tanguy Bouroullec, winner of the first round. These two, who had hardly let go of a sole on the 197-mile loop contested last week, are well on their way to going blow for blow again. Will his lead of 48 minutes and 59 seconds be enough for the skipper of Cerfrance to maintain his position as leader in the general classification? It is difficult to comment given the current weather environment, which is at least unstable. "Right now I don't count the minutes. I will try to do the best I can and move the boat to its full potential. We'll do the math at the end even though, obviously, hanging up a second round win is still a goal for me. What I dread most about this second stage is clearly the passage of Ré. If you're against the tide and you have to go along the island, it could be the lottery. My haunting is to get blocked in a windless area and to see others pass by... commented Tanguy Bouroullec. The latter intends to pull all the quintessence of his Pogo foiler during the two crossings of the English Channel in the strong wind, well aware however that his opponents will not make it easy for him, starting with Antoine Perrin who has, it has been said, already set the tone on this start of stage, determined to shine on his territory, the Bay of Morlaix.

TRACKER

New conditions, new headliners?

Same topo or almost for the Carantécois Jean-Marie Jézéquel (951 - Branchet / KPL) who also hopes to finish in a good place on his favorite playground and thus forget his "disappointing" 15E place in the first act. "On the first stage, I put a little too much pressure on myself and did a lot of stupid things. I also lacked a bit of rhythm. So this time I'm going to try not to take too much head, to do what I know how to do and then we'll see," commented the Finsterian who expects a race as complete as complex. "It's going to be intense! However, we thought that we could hardly be more complicated than the first stage, but it is likely to be as tricky, if not more so. To begin with, it is clear that the first 24 hours are going to be very long and that, as usual, it will go ahead. So we're going to have to hang on from the beginning and not let go," added Jean-Marie Jezéquel, who thus overtook the lead in the Series, ahead of Ronan Jezégou (692 - Diaoulic) and austria's Christian Kargl (980 - All Hands on Deck). If these two sailors did not perform particularly well in the first stage, they may well be more comfortable under different conditions, which is naturally feared by Léo Debiesse (966 - Kelyfos), the current leader in the Series standings. Some of my competitors are actually likely to get back into the game completely. Clearly, my one-hour, seven-minute lead over second overall may seem like a lot on a stage scale, but there is actually little on the scale of a three-stroke race. Different strategic options, speed gaps... just because it can disappear in no time," commented the navigator from the Cévennes, who also expects a testing event, both for organisms and machines. "The pace is going to be strong and I hope we all get to Roscoff. I have a lot of confidence in my boat, especially in the strong wind because I know it's solid. Stay the man. It's going to be good conditions for seasickness in particular. I'm lucky, I'm not too sensitive to it, but it's going to be hard physically. Managing sleep, eating well and being present at the right times on the many weather transitions will be essential points," says Léo Debiesse. Also of note: the return to shore, shortly before the kick-off of the round, of Thomas Racoupeau (995 - Team Vendée Formation) and Marine Legendre (902 - EY). Both, victims of autopilot problems, try to repair and then start racing.

They said:

Louis Mayaud (916 - Youkounkoun): "There are still a lot of uncertainties. So I approach this second stage with great anticipation to deal with all eventualities. What we know is that we're going to have both petal and big weather, a little in every direction, with a lot of transitions. On the rankings, I finished 12E of the first stage. So I'm going to try to aim for a place between 8 and 10 this time, but more than results goals, I have work goals. Many of us discover the support, especially in these conditions. After that, it's still half the distance of the qualif' so we don't go completely into the unknown. For my part, I do not know how I will manage in race mode but it will be a nice stage. A very complete and necessarily instructive step. »

Julien Hatin (869 - Landscape Enterprises - Normandy): "What is certain is that we will start the race in a rather stormy time, with a blow of no wind, a blow 30 knots. In this context, no doubt we will get wet and get a little scared on the first stretch of the course! After that, we're going to have to pick up a little rocking in the west and then deal with a wind that will gradually rise to 25 knots, or even more in the gusts. It may be quite unpleasant especially since we will be close. You'll have to be on it all the time. Once we've overrun Wolf Rock, however, it'll be a lot cooler with a drag sky, a bit of sunshine and a quick descent to Roscoff. I can't wait to be there because the English Channel is a bit of my garden, even if there is always a bit of stress on a day out. I really want to because on this second run, we'll start to lengthen the distances a little. I'm still a bit amateurish and having a little longer stages helps to erase a little bit the differences between the speeds of execution of maneuvers and that's pretty cool. Maybe it will allow me to do a little better in terms of results than in the first act (32E). We'll see. The goal is to make me happy. If that's the case, normally, everything will be fine! »

Romain Le Gall (987 - Optimists are looking for partners): "I can't wait to get back on the water! The first step was too good. It's super addictive as a thing! The conditions this time are going to be very different. We're not sure what sauce we're going to eat. Overall, we know that the wind is going to be uncertain on the first part and that we may have a bit of wind on the second. I'm fine with it because these are conditions that go well to the boat. The goal is once again not to break anything, to finish and to qualify for the Mini Transat. »

Tim Darni (432 - Diabol'O sailing solutions): "It's going to be stormy on the first part so we're not sure what sauce we're going to eat but there won't be much air. The idea will be above all not to break if there are big grains, but also try to rest as much as possible, which will not be easy since we will have to negotiate many phases of transition. On the second part, there is more wind. It will be important to approach this last stretch in shape to stay efficient because it will be very soliciting. My goal is clearly to finish to win the qualifying for the Mini Transat. I don't really have any sports goals, even if it's true that when you're on the water, you always get caught up in the game! »

Emmanuel Renaud (753 - Oceans Adventures): "On some sections of the route, today's weather files are very different from those of yesterday. So it will be a bit of a surprise on the water and we will have to adapt. In addition, it's going to be twice as long as the first one so we'll have to manage differently for the organizations, especially since there will be more wind, which is more from the front. England's comeback is likely to draw a little on the men, much more than in the first act. In any case, we leave for a great adventure and I hope to succeed in making the boat work well, see if, or not, I progressed in training, and then arrive in Roscoff being happy with my nav. Clearly, I hope I have no regrets. »

http://lessables-lesacores650.com/
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Too Little Or Too Much For Les Sables Mini Fleet

Conditions Forecasted For Midweek Look Unfriendly

PUBLISHED ON AUG 17, 2020

The start of stage 3 postponed to a later date
    The start of the third and final stage of the Les Sables - Les Açores en Baie de Morlaix, initially scheduled for Wednesday August 19 at 4 p.m., has been postponed to a later date. In question, difficult weather conditions announced for the middle of the week. A depression generating southwesterly winds between 25 and 28 knots (up to 40 in gusts) and more than three meters of waves must indeed sweep the English Channel. An improvement is expected from Saturday with the return to a more high pressure situation. New information on the program will be given on Thursday August 20, 2020 at 12 noon.

In addition, the parade is brought forward to Tuesday August 18 at 2 p.m. The Minists, accompanied by young people from the “Morlaix Bay Sailing” competition section, will then make a loop at the start and finish of the port of Bloscon via the Château du Taureau.

AUG 15, 2020 BY LSOVCL
    Bouroullec doubles the Proto lead, Riché signs his first Series victory
    Since 7.20pm yesterday, the arrivals of the second stage of the Les Sables - Les Açores en Baie de Morlaix have followed one another at the Port of Bloscon. And if they will continue to train throughout this day on Saturday, the podiums of the stage as well as those of the provisional general classifications are now known. Thus, among the Protos, the trio Tanguy Bouroullec (696 - Cerfrance), Antoine Perrin (850 - Hydroprocess) and Irina Gracheva (800 - Canopus) is both the winning trio of the round and that, in the same order, of the provisional general classification. In the Series, however, the hierarchy is more fragile and it is not Victor d'Ersu (985 - Babouchka) who will support the opposite after the epic end of the race he has experienced today. Deprived of any electronic system, the skipper struggled to find the finish line in the dark. For nearly two hours, he toured the bay of Morlaix then losing precious time and allowing Quentin Riché (947 - Eliott) then Jean-Marie Jézéquel (951 - Branchet / KPL) to grill him on the wire after having yet led the proceedings for a large half of the race. Overall, Léo Debiesse (966 - Kelyfos), 4e of this second round, nevertheless retains the leadership ahead of Riché who climbs on the podium just ahead of the German Lennart Bürke (943 - Vorpommen).

This second stage of the Les Sables - Les Açores en Baie de Morlaix, which led the Ministes des Sables d'Olonne to Roscoff via the Île de Ré and Wolf Rock, was set to be quite invigorating. However, it was rather marked by light winds, even if for a short time, off the DST of Ouessant, the wind rose to 28 knots. As a result, like the first round, it turned out to be "exhausting" both mentally and physically for the sailors who thus spent more than four days at sea. Four days during which the rubber bands and the reversals of situation had was plethora as explained by Tanguy Bouroullec (see his interview conducted yesterday after his arrival), and as confirmed by his runner-up, Antoine Perrin. " The race was not easy. There were many crossings and just as many twists and turns. The gaps were regularly made then defeated ”, commented the skipper of Hydroprocess who had lost on wire during the first round against Irina Gracheva and who, this time, managed to leave her 26 minutes in his transom. after another fierce duel from start to finish. " The gaps are small but I have a good operation overall since I am going up from third to second place in the provisional classification", Satisfied the Carantécois, obviously delighted to finish in a good place on his favorite playground and to regain the advantage in general for 25 minutes on his direct competitor, even if he now concedes 2h34 to Tanguy Bouroullec, and knows that this time will not be easy to fill, even with an 870 mile stage ahead.

A totally improbable end of the race

In Series boats, the hierarchy is much less rigid and the incredible finish of this second stage is the most perfect proof of this. Judge for yourself: while he was in command of the fleet since the passage of the Ouessant traffic separation system at the end of the day on Thursday, and was heading straight for stage victory with a comfortable five-mile lead over his adversaries, Victor d'Ersu experienced a misadventure as improbable as it was pitiless. Entered the bay of Morlaix at around 1:30 am, he turned and then turned again just a few meters from the finish line without seeing it, losing two long hours. A scenario in reality completely linked to a blackout suffered since the overflow of the Brittany point two days earlier. " I found myself deprived of electronics, that is to say GPS, autopilot, air ... it was super complicated and I did everything the old fashioned way. It was a bit tiring because I had to steer all the time. I didn't eat or sleep at all for 60 hours, ” said the skipper of Babouchka who, despite this, had a very good race, leading the proceedings for a while with more than 8 miles ahead of the rest of the race. the fleet. " Today, I know I can play in front, but obviously I'm a little disappointed that I didn't grab the stage victory. So much has gone through my mind all the time I couldn't find the finish line! I was told that there was a small beacon on the committee boat but it was impossible to see it! I even told myself that I was going to anchor until it was daylight and then too bad ... In the end, we arrived at three boats almost at the same time! Unbelievable ! », Commented the Malouin, not unhappy to sign despite everything a good third place, shortly after 3:30 am this Saturday, only 1 minutes and 20 seconds of the winner, Quentin Riché.

Everything has to be done

“What a sick finish! I thought Victor had arrived for a while. When I saw him without fire and without AIS, I realized that he had energy problems and the pressure increased again. We arrived at three, only a few lengths apart! »Commented the skipper of Eliott, author of a good start to the race but also and above all a good end of the stage thanks in particular to a nice blow in the against-currents of the bay. “ Winning a stage is crazy! At the start, I was here to qualify for the Mini Transat. It's only my second solo race and I wasn't expecting that at all, but clearly I'm getting into the performance game! ", added the Grenoblois who climbed from fourth to second in the provisional general classification behind Léo Debiesse. Fourth in this round, the latter retains the advantage in the general standings. “ I was 1h42 ahead of my victory in the first race. Now I have 1 hour 34 minutes left. In the end, this second stage does not change much for me in terms of time but I am very happy to finish in the Top 5. A podium would have been even better but I am not doing so badly especially after a start a bit laborious race ”, commented the skipper of Kelyfos who will benefit from a little well-deserved break before the third and last part of the race, the start of which is scheduled, for now, next Wednesday at 4 pm .

They said :

Antoine Perrin (850 - Hydroprocess) 2 e Proto of step 2 and the second provisional classification : “This time I managed to finish in front of Irina (Gracheva). I managed to pass it the night of Thursday to Friday, near Wolf Rock. I caught some wind to the far right and she stuck to the left. She was 5 or 6 miles ahead at one point, but I didn't give up. The race was not easy, especially at the start. If we have upwind in 25 knots and downwind in 15-20 knots on the last tack, we also had a lot of times without wind. I left with 20 liters of water but it was a bit short. I drank it all because it was very hot the first two days but luckily in England it was cold and humid. I go back to second place in the provisional ranking: that's the bargain of the day. I am lucky to have a generator that works, which allowed me to be able to calmly put the autopilot in the moments when I was tired. Some, still on the water, are facing energy problems and it must be difficult for them. In any case, I am very happy with my place and also very happy to finish this stage at home, I who am licensed at Carantec! "

Irina Gracheva (800 - Canopus), 3 E Step 2 and third in the overall standings: " I'm really happy ! It's a place in the Top 3 again after my second place in the first stage. I'm well in the game and obviously, that makes me happy because as I said before, before the start of the race, I didn't really know what to expect in terms of results with this boat that I have. recovered recently. Overall I sailed well, although I made a few mistakes. It was once again a great fight with Antoine (Perrin). It's great to fight in pairs like that because it allows you to calibrate yourself in speed, to quickly know if you have gained or lost ground ... In the end, he takes back second place from me in the provisional general classification but it remains very tight . So much so that on the third step, more than time, it's the place that will count: the one who finishes ahead of the other will be the one who finishes ahead! "

Jean Marie Jézéquel (Branchet / KPL), 2 nd Series of stage 2 : “I'm sorry for Victor (d'Ersu) because I thought he had arrived for a while. I saw him on the line but didn't know he was still racing! It was clearly a crazy step. There was everything: a lot of light winds, twists and turns in all directions and this great finish, almost incredible. It was really cool. I had a lot of fun at sea even if we didn't sleep much because we were always in battle against each other, always grouped together. On this second stage, I tried to do well, especially since it arrived at the house for me. I sailed a little more liberated than on the first stage. I tried things that seemed more relevant and less hopeless to me. I also managed to be a little more conservative, maybe a little too much at times, but in the end I'm super happy. "

Romain Bigot (802 - Life's Belt), 4th Proto Step 2: " I was aiming for a Top 5 on one of the stages: mission accomplished! I'm very happy ! I learned that I was second last night and I made smoked in power before Wolf Rock since I was a little tired, but instead of 4 th, it's great ! It was a great stage. A stage where we had everything: calm but also wind. I slapped at 28 knots upwind! This afternoon, it was great, full ball downwind, at 16 knots! I can not wait to discover the map to see what happened during the race and especially at the DST of Ouessant. I followed what Christian Dumard told us and it worked very well. It was awesome, really awesome! Really interesting ! I am really up for the third stage! "

http://lessables-lesacores650.com/
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery