New Zealand Ocean Racing launched their recently refitted VO65 at Hobsonville Point in the early hours of September 21st. Boat Haulage transported the boat from Yachting Developments down to the sea wall where NZ Cranes lifted her into the water as she was blessed by Ngāti Whātua Orakei. Due to the depth of water in Catalina Bay the boat was floated without her keel or mast. She then motored down the Waitematā towards the Harbour Bridge under an incredible sunrise and perfect weather conditions. This was the first time the boat had touched the ocean in almost two years.

She arrived at Orams Marine for preparations where Orams travel lift hauled out the VO65 for the keel to be fitted on site. The Yachting Developments team along with the aid of Orams Marine Services made this a seamless process taking only three hours from hoist to splash. Due to the draft of the VO65 this worked perfectly with the timing of the tides and next on the checklist was stepping the mast with Southern Spars in the Viaduct Harbour just outside the events centre. Southern Spars’ Lance Manson assisted NZ Cranes in safely lifting the rig from the wharf and installing it into the VO65 where it now stands proud at 30.3m. She is now graciously parked in her home berth in the middle of the action in the Viaduct Harbour.

Skipper Bianca Cook said of the week: “It takes a huge amount of team effort to get the boat together and into the water. I’m extremely grateful for all of the support from the companies who have allowed us to get to this stage. It’s a huge relief to finally have the boat in the water after what has been a tough year for everyone. I’m looking forward to getting some sails on board and going for a blast.”

Team Manager Tony (Trae) Rae echoed Bianca’s thoughts: “It just really feels like we’ve made a big step getting it in the water and I hope this gives everyone an opportunity to do some sailing and create some exposure in taking our first steps towards this Ocean Race campaign.”

Bianca and Trae have wrangled the five-time Ocean Race sailor, Daryl Wislang, on board the boat to help develop the sailing team. He’s excited to get out on the water as well: “Yeah it’s brilliant, Trae and Bianca have put a good squad together and I’m looking forward to the Coastal Classic with them… [We need to] finish rigging up: boom on, daggerboards in and load some sails and then it’s basically into checking all the systems and going through each area making sure everything has been put back together correctly and there’s nothing we’ve missed. And then we can start loading the boat up and getting up to speed.”

Skipper Bianca Cook said of the week: “It takes a huge amount of team effort to get the boat together and into the water. I’m extremely grateful for all of the support from the companies who have allowed us to get to this stage. It’s a huge relief to finally have the boat in the water after what has been a tough year for everyone. I’m looking forward to getting some sails on board and going for a blast.”

Team Manager Tony (Trae) Rae echoed Bianca’s thoughts: “It just really feels like we’ve made a big step getting it in the water and I hope this gives everyone an opportunity to do some sailing and create some exposure in taking our first steps towards this Ocean Race campaign.”

Bianca and Trae have wrangled the five-time Ocean Race sailor, Daryl Wislang, on board the boat to help develop the sailing team. He’s excited to get out on the water as well: “Yeah it’s brilliant, Trae and Bianca have put a good squad together and I’m looking forward to the Coastal Classic with them… [We need to] finish rigging up: boom on, daggerboards in and load some sails and then it’s basically into checking all the systems and going through each area making sure everything has been put back together correctly and there’s nothing we’ve missed. And then we can start loading the boat up and getting up to speed.”

https://nzoceanracing.com/