Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Trans Pacific Yacht Race!

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

2021 Trans Pacific Yacht Race!

It's the first start day! Today seven boats of Division 8 will start today at 1300 PDT off Point Fermin in LA. Track the boats online with YB Tracking at https://buff.ly/3i3JHjK
    Teams starting today: Division 8 (Transpac - 7 Boats)

1. Ho’okolohe, Farr 57, Cecil/Alyson Rossi , Novato, CA, USA
    2. Juno, Express 37, Dan Merino , San Diego, CA, USA
    3. Knotty Boo, Beneteau 49, Brent Crawford / Jason Holloway , Kentfield, CA, USA
    4. Macondo, Beneteau First 47.7, Mike Sudo , Marina del Rey, CA, USA
    5. Mikmaks, Stevens 47, Justin Waite , Fairbanks, AK, USA
    6. Nalu V, Cal 40, Mark Ashmore , Arcadia, CA, USA
    7. Spindrift V, Express 37, Andy Schwenk , Pt Richmond, Ca, USA

Windy.com forecast for 1:00 PM

Photo: Ho’okolohe at 2019 Start
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Blog Entries

Start Dates And Fleet Break Down

A basic guide of who is starting when and forecast for 1:00 PM each day...

Tuesday's start

Friday's Start

Saturday's Start

Blog Entries

Division 8 Blazes The Trail

Los Angeles, California – After over a year of careful planning, tremendous uncertainty, yet dogged determination to run this race, the Transpacific Yacht Club today unleashed the first wave of entries on their long westward journey to Honolulu in the 51st running of the Transpac. This biennial 2225-mile race from LA-Honolulu, first run in 1906, is an ocean racing classic.

Seven entries ranging from 37 to 57 feet in length were on the start line today, set one mile south of San Pedro’s Point Fermin lighthouse. Weather conditions early this morning were uncertain, with local thunderstorms in the area, but this stabilized by midday to provide an 11-knot thermal westerly breeze. Even in this initial upwind leg towards the first of only two marks of the course – the West End of Catalina, 25 miles away – the fleet seemed to split with some opting to head north and others choosing to take the closer tack towards Catalina.

As explained at the virtual Skipper’s Briefing last Saturday afternoon by veteran NOAA weather forecaster Joe Sienkiewicz, the large scale position and shape of the North Pacific High seems to be setting up favorably for a good race. The split High is due to merge and strengthen the classic northeast tradewinds that are a typical feature of the middle portion of the race track, while the normal coastal northerlies also seem to be in place to propel all the teams away from the coast quickly.

Mark Ashmore’s Cal 40 Nalu V was among the first starters today, and is riding a wave of enthusiasm coming off their overall win in the SoCal 300. He’s upbeat about the race, his first to Hawaii, especially considering what happened in the previous 50th edition of the race in 2019.

“We had a mysterious leak, or several leaks, that we were never able to pinpoint the source,” he said. “It was serious enough to have us pumping out the bilge four times a day. The conditions were rough, and we launched off a few waves, so it was difficult to track the source. At one point I was able to get my head into the bilge to see some water seeping in.”

Ho'oko ole

Juno

Knotty Boo

At about 200 miles out the Nalu team decided it was better to head back to the coast than face this situation further out and with fewer option. There were among several entries to that year that had to drop out due to various problems.

This year Ashmore and his team of four are determined to finish what they started two years ago, cross the finish at Diamond Head, and have tons of fun on the way. “We may be one of the slowest boats on the course, but that means we just have more time to enjoy the race!” he said.

The Nalu V team is also sailing for a cause: a good friend and shipmate on the 2019 race, Mark Buttermann, had recently passed from ALS, and the team has dedicated their effort this year to his memory. They have set up a donation fund to fight ALS and within a few weeks have raised an impressive $14,000.

Today’s starters are the first of three waves, with the second group of 15 teams in three divisions starting at 1:00 PM PDT on Friday, July 16th at Point Fermin, while the final group of the fastest 19 boats in four divisions will start at the same time and place on Saturday, July 17th.

YB trackers are on board all entries, with positions indicated on the YB website at this link: https://yb.tl/transpac2021. The positions have been delayed by 4 hours, except when within 200 miles of the finish, where they revert to real-time tracking.

Blog Entries

Division 3 Start Photos

Selects from today's start of Division 8 courtesy Transpac YC !

Blog Entries

Wednesday's positions looked bleak with boats seeking and escape from the low wind zone

Thursday's AM report looking much more favorable as the fleet leaders are finally into some decent winds and begin to
    put some real miles under their keels

TRACKER

Go Cecil & Alyson!

Your mai tai's are beckoning!

Blog Entries

Tuesday 14:30 Update

Friday morning update shows Cecil and Allyson Rossi's Farr 57' Ho'okolohe leading the pack of Tuesday starters
    while making a pleasant 6.8 knot. She also is currently in 1st in ORR and Line honors at this point, with a 69 nm
    advantage over the nearest vessel, Mike Sudo's Beneteau 47.7 Macondo while Andy Schwenky Dank's Express 37'
    Spindrift V is correcting out in 2nd place in division 8

TRACKER

Today's fleet is enjoying much more robust winds and are sprinting out toward Catalina Island
    With the following speeds:

Bretwalda 8.1 knots

Triumph 7.6 knots

Lucky Duck 7.7 knots

Trouble 8.2 knots

Oaxaca 7.1 knots

Neried 7.9 knots

Horizon 7.6 knots

Rufless 7.2 knots

Riva 7.6 knots

Cazan 7.2 knots

Favonius 6.7 knots

Blog Entries

TRACKER

July 17,, 2021 - Los Angeles, CA - Powered by the best breeze of the week – 10-15 knots at the start off Point Fermin – today’s final 19 entries in four divisions vaulted off the start line towards Honolulu, 2225-miles away, in the 2021 Transpac. These are the fastest boats in the fleet entered in Divisions 1, 2, 3 and 4, and vary from 52 to 77 feet in length, with all expecting a speedy passage ahead.

The current monohull course record set by the VPLP 100 Comanche in 2017 is 5D-1H-55M-26S, an average speed of over 18 knots. “A few days ago we got excited when the weather models lined us up for what looked like could be a record run,” said Peter Isler, navigator on Roy Disney’s turbo Volvo 70 Pyewacket (inset photo - Sharon Green/Ultimate Sailing) “This is less certain now, but it still looks like a fast race ahead if we can get off the coast tonight.”

So far this is looking good: the latest report on the YB trackers has Pyewacket heading west at close to 0 knots VMG with more speed expected as they reach the stronger coastal breezes offshore late tonight or early Sunday morning.

Regardless of record pace potential, everyone in today’s fleet was upbeat about the race after months and sometimes years of planning and preparation. Chris Sheehan’s Pac52 Warrior Won is from Larchmont, NY and has been planning for this race ever since acquiring his boat from the West Coast in 2019.

“The Transpac is the must-do race for ocean racers,” he said. “I’ve done many 600-milers – Fastnet, Middle Sea Race, Bermuda and Sydney Hobart in my prior boat – but yet to do a truly long distance ocean race. It's a beast of a race in terms of distance but enjoyable in terms of conditions.”

Warrior Won is one of several Pac52 and TP52 entries, a high-speed, offshore-capable design concept developed by the Transpacific YC for this race some 20 years ago.

In contrast, George Hershman and Mark Comings’s Reichel/Pugh 63 GoodEnergy (inset photo right - Taggart Lee/Ultimate Sailing) is local-based in Cabrillo Beach, and pulled together their boat and team quite quickly, just in the past few months. Helmsman Chuck Clay explained “This boat was Loki, the Australian 2011 Sydney-Hobart champion, that became available and was bought on the East Coast, trucked out here and assembled quickly enough for us to qualify. We had a lot of work to do, like switching the winches from hydraulic to electric-powered, but its come together well. Our team is a lot of friends who have tremendous experience in this and other ocean races, so we look forward to doing well and having fun.”

On a similar theme of racing with friends but also family as well, David Dahl, CEO of Transpac Heritage Sponsor Whittier Trust, is racing with his two sons Michael and Sean in a partnership arrangement with other owners of the aptly-named Andrews 77 Compadres (inset photo left - Sharon Green/Ultimate Sailing) based in Newport Beach. Saying that they’re doing the race because of “too many conversations in the Newport Harbor Yacht Club Pirates Den,” their goal is to have a race that will be safe, fast and fun. The team of 14 has been training for this race by competing in several distance races in Southern California and Mexico.

“Racing on the Pacific Ocean is a test of the human spirit,” said Dahl. “You never know what to expect – uncertainty reigns. You must be prepared to handle anything, with experts supporting you.” An appropriate analogy he makes to their client relationships at Whittier.

Out on the race course about 200 miles west, yesterday’s starters in Divisions 5, 6 and 7 are in a relatively tight group about 40 miles from front to back, charging towards Hawaii relatively close to rhumb line (right inset YB tracker image). Bob Pethick’s Rogers 46 Bretwalda is leading this pack, high-speed reaching at 10-11 knots in 20 knots of wind. This group will be closing the gap and likely overtaking the tail enders in the first wave of starters in Division 8 in a few days at the current rates of speed.

The boat closest to Hawaii now is Cecil and Alyson Rossi’s Farr 57 Ho’Okolohe, who is approaching the halfway point in about another day’s time at their current rate of about 10 knots in boatspeed. For them the wind is already starting to shift aft from beam reaching to broad reaching, and they are reporting weather this morning as “90% cloudy, 6-8 ft seas, 035° TWD, 15-22 knots TWS, 1020mb pressure. Rough, shifty night with one good squall this morning, Amazing full rainbow on the bow after and it looked like an arch that we were aiming for. We thought of Gordo (former shipmate) calling us through the gap.”
    Soon enough there will be more rainbow-chasers in this year’s fleet, a group of 41 entries that has already navigated so many challenges to be on this race course this year and are being rewarded with outstanding conditions - “Classic Transpac” is what Peter Isler called this weather in his description of the forecast.

YB trackers are on board all entries, with positions indicated on the YB website at this link: https://yb.tl/transpac2021. The positions have been delayed by 4 hours, except when within 200 miles of the finish, where they revert to real-time tracking.

For photos, videos, race analysis and more visit https://transpacyc.com.

Blog Entries

July 18th Leaders Part 1

Blog Entries

July 18 Leaderboard Part 2