Thread: Voiles de Saint-Tropez: The " Moderns" Take Center Stage

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Voiles de Saint-Tropez: The " Moderns" Take Center Stage

The establishment at the beginning of the afternoon of a nice thermal breeze from the western sector allowed the opening with fanfare of these 23rd Voiles de Saint-Tropez, with a first good start for the 5 categories of Modern sailboats IRC B gauged , C, D, E and F. Five departures harmoniously punctuated under the Portalet, downwind towards the open sea, on a slightly lapping wave. Already the first clashes at the top of each group, like the long side to side along the route between the large sloop Solano and the Grand Soleil 48 ASAP fighting for the North Sails Trophy. Quick to mingle with the show, the tenors of the IRC C group, crowned by the BMW Trophy, like the TP 52 Nanoq , the Ker46 Daguet 3, or the German 52-foot Rafale , came to titillate the largest units to offer this astonishing mixing of spinnakers at each key passage of the race. The happy return to land of the crews, accompanied by music from the Village des Voiles, launched the party on land, which naturally mingled with the crews of the Classic yachts already ready to do battle in turn from tomorrow.

all images © Gilles Martin-Raget

Modern: 19 miles windy at will as an appetizer of the Voiles
    130 Modern sailboats have therefore launched in an admirable way this beautiful sporting week of Les Voiles. 19 miles were on the menu proposed by the teams of the Principal Race officer George Korhel towards Pampelonne and return via La Moutte, this shallow beacon at the entrance to the gulf. The acceleration of the west-south-west wind favored the boats that left last and it is a nice grouping in the form of traffic jams of all classes which we witnessed the passage of the Moutte shortly after the start. Sliding, varied gaits to accompany the progressive rotation of the north-westerly wind, and long downwind edges on a sea not very agitated by the land wind, offered runners something to have fun by pulling their machines as much as possible. Nanoq , the formidable TP 52 helmed by the Australian champion Tom Slingsby, left no one to cross the finish line first in real time, any group included, ahead of just a few minutes another protagonist of the IRC C, the Swan 50 Mathilde M and IRC B Solano .

Tomorrow the Classics!
    Nearly 80 traditional boats, including 21 sailboats over one hundred years old, make up the fleet of Classic sailboats competing in the Gulf from tomorrow. About twenty gaff-rigged sailboats, with this non-symmetrical quadrangular mainsail, divided into two groups A and B will launch the debates. The Grands Tradition category, some of which exceed 40 meters overall, this year has no less than 12 registrants sporting remarkable silhouettes: schooners, ketches, cutters or yawls. This Tuesday day will also mark the kick-off of the Rolex Trophy, open this year to the Epoque Aurique A class.
    As for the “guests”, a singular class in view of their small size and their rigging, 5 sublime sailboats race at Les Voiles. Each offers a page of maritime history, architectural imagination in the service of elegance but also performance. Thus, the reproduction of the Marseille Houari Alcyon 1871 will find it in Dainty (Westmascott 1923), the smallest sailboat of the fleet with its 8.12 meters, Djinn (Nevis 1938), Jap , the auric cutter signed Fife (1898) ) and the Bermudian IOD sloop Josephine designed by Danish metrics master Bjarne Aas, material to be raced at the highest level of racing pleasure.

Portrait of the day: The man who whispers in the ear of the wind Tom Slingsby is in Sails! The man who whispers in the ear of the wind, born September 5, 1984 in Sydney,

is one of the most successful sailors in the world, having won an Olympic gold medal, nine world championships, the America's Cup and set many world records, in addition to being crowned sailor of the year 2010. He dominated the Laser class between 2006 and 2012, winning six world titles during this period, his last championship coinciding with his Olympic gold medal in that event at the London Games. For his achievements in 2012, he was named Athlete of the Year by the Australian Institute of Sport and received the Order of Australia medal. Shortly after the 2012 Olympics, he joined ORACLE TEAM USA as a strategist, helping to stage one of the biggest comebacks in sports history when the team won the America's Cup in 2013. In December 2019, he clinched his first world title in the Moth class after dominating the competition and winning all but one race. He is sailing in Saint-Tropez aboard the TP 52 Nanoq in IRC C. “ This is my first time at Les Voiles. I officiate as a strategist aboard the TP 52 Nanoq, with a Danish crew and Prince Frederik at the helm. The boat, launched in 2008, is very competitive and magnificent to see sailing. I am very happy to be here and I think we are going to have a good time… ”

On the program tomorrow:
    Its weight in Rum
    The Mount Gay rum weighing of Admiral Satan 2021, Carl Ollivier, is scheduled for tomorrow Tuesday September 28, 2021 in public and at the Village des Voiles in Saint-Tropez. This is an initiative initiated in 2019 by Lionel Péan, who crowns the winner of the Bailli de Suffren Trophy in the Classic category, while paying tribute to the famous bailiff, called Satan by his eternal British adversaries. No analogy, the winner of the Modern category is awarded the Jedi Trophy. The route of the 21st edition of the Trophy, mysteriously called the “SUFFREN Trilogy” will take place on the terrace of the Société Nautique de Saint-Tropez on Friday October 1st at 7pm.

They said:
    Maxime Sorel, Eileen 1938
    The Cancalais Maxime Sorel was one of the revelations of the last Vendée Globe, signing at the age of 34 a more than honorable tenth place for his first participation. He launched the construction of an Imoca prototype, with the aim of the next Route du Rhum and the Vendée Globe 2024.
    “This participation in Les Voiles is a great first for me. I discovered this atmosphere which made the reputation of the event. My new Imoca boat is under construction. I will therefore not be taking part in the Transat Jacques Vabre, which leaves me a little time to respond to this type of invitation. I meet a lot of people, from all types of sails. I am sailing a classic, Eileen 1938. I am a coxswain. The boat is very heavy, while being very regatta in its fittings. The helm sensations are amazing. We do not find the impression of power of modern boats, but we drive, without electronics. Everything works for sensations. A real homecoming. All of these Classics are magnificent. On land, we see the ball of the crews in the colors of their team. Very good waves. I do not have the culture of the crew and the yachting but I sail a little on the Bisquine de Cancale and I like the atmosphere of the crew, with the pleasure of racing. "

Pjotr ​​Lezhnin, J / 99 Space Jockey
    He will be one of the competitors to follow this week in IRC E, the J / 99 Balte Space Jockey, skippered by the Russian Pjotr ​​Lezhnin, winner of the Giraglia in his IRC group. “We have a mixed crew, male / female and of various nationalities. The idea is to have fun here in Saint-Tropez in this very competitive group of IRC E. The J / 99 is very efficient at all speeds, and in all types of wind. So we have a great card to play here. I have sailed a lot in Northern Europe, Germany and the Baltic States. In the Mediterranean, the season goes on until the gates of winter and it's very pleasant. The mix of genres here is fascinating, with the Classics and the moderns… The J / 99, Johnston design, is a very versatile boat, between cruising and racing… ”

http://www.lesvoilesdesaint-tropez.f...-les-modernes/
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Blog Entries

Mistral Magic Envelopes Les Voiles!

– A physical regatta in the Mistral!
    – Ideal conditions for the Classics to slip along…
    – Don’t miss tomorrow’s Club 55 Cup & Centenary Trophy: 40 years of the Nioulargue spirit!

Everyone’s dreamed of it: Les Voiles have done it! Breeze, sunshine, sea spray and the whole fleet of Modern and Classic yachts racing around the Bay together. This third day served up a very generous mixture of passion, sport and nautical aesthetic. A bracing NW’ly Mistral kept the sea state in check, favouring races bound for Les Issambres for the Classics and towards Cavalaire for the Modern boats. These longer courses translated as quick legs, dazzling tactics and a little and a lot of dexterity and effort to adapt the sails to the conditions and hold on tight to the feisty steeds, sapping the energy from thousands of sailors in the process and then dropping them off at the dock happy, fulfilled and beaming from ear to ear at the sheer delight of competing in close-contact races on the most beautiful yachts in the heavenly setting of the bay of Saint Tropez. A wonderful prelude to tomorrow’s very special Challenge Day for this the 23rd edition of Les Voiles, with two races already ticked off for the Classics and three for the Modern boats.

Muscles galore!
    Today, nearly 40 miles of racing was on the programme for the biggest competitors in the modern fleet, whilst the smaller boats had a crack at a course spanning around 28 miles towards Escalet. Scooped up by downwind conditions and lots of reaching, it was ultimately a drag race pure and simple, punctuated by some lovely surfs and even some more risky broaches in gusts bordering on 30 knots. Jean Pierre Dick, at the helm of his JP 54 The Kid came off best from the harsh yet wonderful conditions, snatching the win in IRC B. The Nacira 47 Pretexte pulled off another consistent performance at the front of the pack and is squeezing ever closer to the much-coveted North Sails Trophy. Meantime, there are numerous pretenders to victory in the BMW Trophy, which crowns the best in show of the IRC Cs. Nanoq, helmed by Prince Frederik of Denmark, with Tom Slingsby calling tactics, posted her second race win after her second place on Monday. It was also impossible to miss the amazing balancing act by the Tofinous in IRC F, which are so impressive as they surf under spinnaker. In the end it was the Tofinou 9.5 Jolt that scored the day’s bullet.

Classics: Salty and soggy!
    It was the same salty and soggy atmosphere for the Classics racing towards Les Issambres. Slipping along nicely, the bay not yet churned up by the breeze and significant stream of traffic at that point, the fleet then launched into a spectacular ballet of tack changes amidst the multiple marks dotted along the coast. Often fully heeled over, their beautiful hulls, some dating back over a hundred years, put on an extraordinary demonstration of seakeeping that really reflected the exquisite engineering of their designers from the past century. The Grand Tradition gaff and Marconi schooners excelled in the day’s blustery conditions, whilst Recluta, a newcomer to Les Voiles, also relished the breeze. The German Frers ketch was first across the finish line off Portalet in elapsed time and, just 30 seconds later, the 12 m Seven Seas of Porto followed suit, ahead of the ketch Stormvogel.

And tomorrow….
    Challenge day: Les Voiles celebrates 40 years of the Nioulargue spirit
    For the past 40 years, tradition has dictated that Thursday at Les Voiles is given over to the celebration of the creative spirit of the original race to the Nioulargue mark involving Ikra and Pride. In this way, any measurement logic is cast aside for the day and Race Management opens up a line at Le Portalet, where boats of any size with any rig announce their intention to compete against a particular sparring partner(s) over the VHF and then festivities commence… Elsewhere in the bay, for those keen to pay homage to a spirit of racing as it was a century ago, with two captains challenging one another for the love of the sport and as a way to compare the performances of a yacht and her crew against one’s own, the Club 55 Cup will witness competitors duelling for glory. For this 2021 edition, the Club 55 Cup will see the JP54 The Kid, Jean Pierre Dick’s 2010 Modern boat, which includes Bill Jayson in her crew, challenge the Marconi ketch Stormvogel designed by Van de Stadt, Giles, Illingworth (1962).

The Centenary Trophy celebrates her tenth anniversary!
    Organised in collaboration with the Gstaad Yacht Club within the context of Les Voiles de Saint-Tropez since 2011, the Centenary Trophy is open to boats in excess of a hundred years old. The original format of this race, one of the highlights of Challenge Day, involves a series of staggered starts for the participating boats according to their potential for speed in a pursuit race format, with the first boat across the finish line declared the winner.
    “This 10th edition heralds renewed confidence in the Société Nautique de Saint-Tropez, which is celebrating the 40th anniversary of the Nioulargue. We’re really keen for the two events to represent a return to life, offering participants an opportunity to truly live out their passion and champion a positive message for the future”, explains Manrico Lachia, Commodore of the Yacht Club de Gstaad, for whom the Centenary Trophy is a very important part of the Swiss club’s history.

And on land…
    From 18:30 hours local time, the multi-coloured and marvellously festive procession of the crews will parade around the streets of Saint Tropez and the top secret theme this year is… burlesque!

Quotes from the boats:
    German Frers Jr, Recluta (Frers)
    “I’m racing on a replica 1901 yacht. I love sailing Classics. I decided to make a replica of a boat whose restoration was started in 1940 by my father. It involved a serious work-up for three years in San Fernando,
    Argentina, with a lot of help from Tito Cisca. I love her form and the feeling she gives you, especially in Saint Tropez. I’ve been coming here since the Nioulargue and the Maxis. I love the atmosphere. I sail with members of my family, sons and grandsons, and some Argentinean friends, all of them good sailors. It’s really special to sail on this boat.”

Marisa Selfa, CEO North Sails Apparel
    “Saint Tropez is our true home! This is where our brand’s soul resides. This incredible environment and this extraordinary competition are fundamental to the sail sector and for us in the lifestyle sector. We bring the spirit of sailing into our collections. The big challenge for us is to combine tradition and high technology, with durability also being very important to us. The North Sails apparel is a classic brand with a classic heritage, but we make it relevant for today’s world and the technology is synonymous with performance for the crews. The durability aspect is all about innovation and fully recycled new materials. Here in Saint Tropez we have partnered with Scooters Electriques, who are personalising their models with our sails as a way to inject durability into the town.”

Manrico Lacha, Commodore of the Yacht Club de Gstaad
    “The Centenary Trophy is one of the Yacht Club de Gstaad’s main events if not the biggest. We also support athletes in the Olympic Games. This tenth anniversary of the Centenary Trophy is a marker for us as our Yacht Club is very young at just 23 years of age. This Trophy is very renowned. Patrizio Bertelli (Scud) comes to Saint Tropez specially for it, as does Pierre Casiraghi (Tuiga). That’s not bad for a little mountain-based club. We have 450 members around the world, 35 twin towns including Saint Tropez, Monaco, Cape Town, San Francisco and Sao Paulo… We’re connected to the whole world and, step by step, we’re creating our network. As we have no stretches of water, we exist thanks to these partnerships and these collaborations and we’re very grateful to the Société Nautique de Saint-Tropez with which we have a great relationship. Gstaad and Saint Tropez are destinations much prized by one and all and this association is no longer a surprise. All the skippers in the Trophy are very excited. We even have one sailor who’s come all the way from Patagonia!”

http://www.lesvoilesdesaint-tropez.f...ce-des-voiles/

Blog Entries

The Easterly Wind Animates The Gulf!

- Blessed week in Saint-Tropez with sun and wind
    - The Trophies take shape in IRC B, C and D…
    - Classics: Yanira in real time

After the crazy day of yesterday, when the sailors, on land and at sea, celebrated with communicative enthusiasm the 40 years of the Nioulargue, it's time today for the resumption of the games so magnificently started since Monday. The wind, the summer sun have once again contributed to painting the four corners of the gulf these sublime images of modern or classic sailboats, in regattas, their crews more concentrated and determined than ever to extract the quintessence of their mounts and to defend the colors of their owners and owners. Heading into the easterly wind for a dozen knots, the conditions were ideal for setting up pretty courses in the axis of the gulf, 13 miles for the smaller ones, and 20 miles for the larger units. In all the groups, on the eve of the last day of the regatta tomorrow,

Lines of force among the Moderns
    The frenzied rhythm maintained since Monday by the fleet of 140 Modern sailboats registered for Les Voiles continued throughout the day with a new validated race, this time in a register of medium wind, forcing to more than 15 knots in the middle of the race. midday. Light winds, strong Mistral winds, and medium today! Les Voiles is definitely spoiling sailors in this post-Covid year of all revivals! The sea hemmed in an elegant swell, favored the glide and the heavy maneuvers of spinnaker shipments, pushing the strategists to all the daring. Few differences at the arrivals in all groups, a sign of the commitment of the crews. Solano, the 52-footer built at the Italian shipyard Felci, may have scored a decisive point by winning today and beating its main competitor, the Nacra 47 Pretexte in its IRC B Group, North Sails Trophy. The Grand Soleil Mad IV at Clive Llewelyn is replaced in the perspective of the final sprint tomorrow, while Jean Pierre Dick and his The Kid, less comfortable in this wind register, clearly lowered its flag by doing better than one 17th place. As for the BMW Trophy, which will crown the first IRCC, Nanoq drove the point home by adding a third round victory to his list of the week. Only the other 52 foot Arobas2 beat him in real time. We will observe that in IRCD, the British Cap 31 North Star2 follows a trajectory absolutely similar to that of Nanoq, with today a third race victory, embellished with a beautiful undivided domination in real time as in corrected time. while Jean Pierre Dick and his The Kid, less comfortable in this windy range, clearly lowered their flag, only doing better than 17th place. As for the BMW Trophy, which will crown the first IRCC, Nanoq drove the point home by adding a third round victory to his list of the week. Only the other 52 foot Arobas2 beat him in real time. We will observe that in IRCD, the British Cap 31 North Star2 follows a trajectory absolutely similar to that of Nanoq, with today a third race victory, embellished with a beautiful undivided domination in real time as in corrected time. while Jean Pierre Dick and his The Kid, less comfortable in this windy range, clearly lowered their flag, only doing better than 17th place. As for the BMW Trophy, which will crown the first IRCC, Nanoq drove the point home by adding a third round victory to his list of the week. Only the other 52 foot Arobas2 beat him in real time. We will observe that in IRCD, the British Cap 31 North Star2 follows a trajectory absolutely similar to that of Nanoq, with today a third race victory, embellished with a beautiful undivided domination in real time as in corrected time. Nanoq hit the nail on the head by adding a third set victory to his record of the week. Only the other 52 foot Arobas2 beat him in real time. We will observe that in IRCD, the British Cap 31 North Star2 follows a trajectory absolutely similar to that of Nanoq, with today a third race victory, embellished with a beautiful undivided domination in real time as in corrected time. Nanoq hit the nail on the head by adding a third set victory to his record of the week. Only the other 52 foot Arobas2 beat him in real time. We will observe that in IRCD, the British Cap 31 North Star2 follows a trajectory absolutely similar to that of Nanoq, with today a third race victory, embellished with a beautiful undivided domination in real time as in corrected time.

Who has not seen a Classic yacht upwind in the swell of the gulf
    …… has not known the great thrill of the Sails. The Lady Anne (Fife 1912), in regatta against her counterpart Tuiga (Fife 1909) literally splashed the body of water in large bunkers of foam on their way to the wet crossing marks on the edge of the Gulf. Tuiga, which was the subject of an express repair yesterday following the rupture of its boom mast, was incisive from the start. But it was the Spanish Bermudan cutter Yanira who proved to be the fastest of the Classics, completing the course in just over 2.5 hours in real time. It was ahead of a breath under the Portalet the 6 m One wave and the Bermudian cutter Maria-Giovanna II.

And ashore…
    Crew
    evening at La Ponche Long awaited event for crews this evening at La Ponche, Quai l'Esquière in Saint-Tropez. The group Rocky, composed mainly of former musicians of Johnny Hallyday, will pay two strong tributes, one to Johnny of course, and the other to the Rolling Stones, whose drummer Charlie Watts passed away recently. At 11 p.m., a giant fireworks display fired from the sea will conclude the evening.

Prize-
    giving : The Prize- giving and Trophy for this first week of Sailing, for Modern and Classic yachts will also take place tomorrow Saturday at La Ponche, from 7 p.m.

Notable boats: Naema
    The schooner Naema was built by Graafship, Bodrum shipyard in Turkey, and delivered to its first owner in 2013 as Noelani, a Hawaiian word meaning “mist from the sky”. She took the name Naema in 2014. Naema is actually a faithful replica of Alfred Mylne's schooner Panda, built in 1938 at Camper & Nicholson in Gosport. The history of the boat is quite astonishing since it would have been bought in the 40s by the French government, to be offered to the king of Anam, Bao Dai. After the withdrawal of the French from Indochina in 1954, the sailboat found refuge in Toulon, in the good care of the French navy which sold it to the American Bill Bodle in 1979. Panda left for the West Indies and from 1981 to 1982 carried out no less than two world tours. After a long career, he died in 1983.

They said:
    Pierre Roinson, President of the Société Nautique de Saint-Tropez
    “The partnership initiated by André Beaufils 10 years ago with the Yacht Club de Gstaad, with the Centenaries Trophy as a central element, is reinforced with the signing of a true twinning. We are proud to join the 35 other International Yacht Clubs, each more prestigious than the last, which from Hong Kong to Sydney, Cape Town, New York or San Francisco, have strong links with this Yacht Club in the mountains… ”

Manrico Iachia, Commodore of the Yacht Club de Gstaad
    “Yesterday we had a fantastic day, with very good conditions and above all a remarkable regatta in all respects. The final between Bruno Troublé on Olympian, and Peter Isler on Spartan was anthology. He offered a superb winner of our Centennial Trophy, which yesterday brought together 23 yachts. After 10 years of a friendly partnership with the Société Nautique de Saint-Tropez, we have today formalized our twinning. La Nautique thus enters the circle of our friendly Yacht-Clubs, present all over the world, and who facilitate exchanges between members. "

Loïck Peyron, BMW Ambassador
    “The wind of freedom is blowing on the Sails! We perceive it in a powerful way on the quays of Saint-Tropez! Of course, the sea is a space of freedom, and sailors are its ambassadors and you can feel this breath of desire for freedom. The mixture of types of sails is the DNA of the Sails, as we find it in the first week with the Moderns and Classqiues. In the second week, we will rediscover the Maxis in Saint-Tropez. I am fortunate to have been chosen as the BMW brand ambassador, and I can thus attest to the efforts made by the brand to present today vehicles made from 100% recyclable elements, in autonomous energy. A boat, except wooden, is much more harmful to the planet than a car. BMW was the first brand to create an environment department at the end of the war! Their cars are the result of a global reflection which begins with the extraction of the material, until the recycling of this material, energy included. This reflection is fascinating. The will is not feigned. A lot of recycled plastic for car interior trim, for example! And in the high end! "

Portrait of the day:
    Sidney Gavignet, Stiren.
    Three years ago, at the end of a Route du Rhum concluded as a winner in the Rhum category, Sidney Gavignet decided to lower the curtain on the adventure of a lifetime devoted to the sport of sailing. By leaving Team Oman Sail of which he had been the linchpin for 7 years, the native of the Alpes de Haute Provence closed the chapter of a saga of more than 25 years, punctuated by markers as strong as the Olympic preparation in Tornado, the Whitbread, then the Volvo Ocean race, America's Cup and other flamboyant experiences on multihulls from 60 to 70 feet. At the dawn of his 50th spring, the sailor put down his bag on the ground, unpacked all the contents, for an uncompromising inventory, of a course, of a whole life turned towards sport, performance, sailing technique. . Yet we found him on the pontoons of Saint Malo in 2018, ready to set off for a third Route du Rhum, that of renewal, rebirth, revolution. Sidney is no longer running for himself. His know-how, his experience will now serve as a fulcrum, inspiration to other courses, other men in search of performance in their daily lives. Life coach, consultant to entrepreneurs, Sidney Gavignet has found a meaning, a legitimacy a quarter of a century spent on the water. The sea, the magic of Classic yachts continue to inspire her ... other men in search of performance in their daily life. Life coach, consultant to entrepreneurs, Sidney Gavignet has found a meaning, a legitimacy a quarter of a century spent on the water. The sea, the magic of Classic yachts continue to inspire her ... other men in search of performance in their daily life. Life coach, consultant to entrepreneurs, Sidney Gavignet has found a meaning, a legitimacy a quarter of a century spent on the water. The sea, the magic of Classic yachts continue to inspire her ...

http://www.lesvoilesdesaint-tropez.f...nime-le-golfe/

Blog Entries

Maxi Madness Runs Unfettered In Saint-Tropez

Comanche puts on the show!
    Duel of giants: Topaz versus Velsheda, Jethou, Vesper, NorthStar ~to the happiness of 72 feet

Obviously, as if it was enough to bring together the most beautiful maxi line-up in the most beautiful port in the world, the Mistral joined in today to showcase a grandiose opening. It is a current of Western tendency that welcomed the 45 Maxis Yachts competing for the very first event of this second week of the Voiles de Saint-Tropez 2021. The most beautiful Maxis, J Class, and other Wallys have taken up residence in the gulf at the invitation of the Société Nautique de Saint-Tropez and intend to end their Mediterranean season there in the most dazzling way. 20 knots of a tonic wind coming out of the Gulf with a more marked swell offshore, the perfect opportunity for the Race Management, skilfully led by Georges Korhel, (Principal Race Officer of the Sails), to send these units cut for speed, on the side of the Fourmigue, this pebble planted in front of the Lavandou, for the longest coastal course of these Voiles, a beautiful loop of 40 miles. Sun, a resplendent sea and a strong breeze, all the ingredients were offered to these magnificent steeds and their international crews to put on a great show and share a great moment of pure sport.

4 groups, 4 starts, but 5 classifications
    With good regularity, the 4 groups of Maxis in contention set off shortly after noon and 10 minutes apart from the Portalet, in view of a large audience. The "tall" sailboats of the IR1 group paved the way, towards the bottom of the gulf and a clearing line, and it is no great surprise that the record hunters Comanche , Rambler88 and Leopard 3 immediately threw themselves into the great and friendly explanation promised. At more than 17 knots upwind towards Le Lavandou, while the wind was gusting and whitening the sea, the three big prototypes clashed in a virile manner, in the foam and facing the wind. But then they also had to rely on other protagonists, also experienced in the exercise of the breeze regatta, starting with a great accustomed to the Tropéziens podiums, Magic Carpet Cubed, but also Deep Blue , the Botin 85 and Odin. , the great Swan 115 particularly at his business. Tailored for the downwind, Comanche literally flew past the mark of the Fourmigue, in a Mistral which at times strengthened to nearly 30 knots. With speed peaks of over 26 knots, the VPLP / Verdier plan was able to break through and somewhat outrun a Magic Carpet very comfortable in the breeze and at all speeds. Rambler 88 is to be credited with a good race, long in contact with Comanche but also powerless in the face of the spectacular flight of the Comanche "luge" with its portable paces ... In the lead at the finish with a good lead, Comanche n ' could have compensated for its terrible rating. This is Deep Blue , which gives the gain of the round, before Magic Carpet clubed and Rambler . Note that several Trophies will reward the great week launched in such a beautiful way, but 5 rankings will be formalized, the 72-footers wanting to do battle with each other! It is in fact at the request of the owners of the 72-foot (21.90 m) sailboats that the IRC3 group was therefore divided into two subdivisions, IRC A and IRC B; we will therefore find in the daily rankings 4 sailboats, Ambersail , the VOR 65, and the three 72-footers North Star, Jethou and Vesper . A fight in the fight between four sailboats with very similar ratings, guaranteeing a fight with knife drawn throughout the week.

Saint-Tropez, scene of the Topaz-Velsheda duel between the giants
    The rivalry between the two Grand Class J still active in the Mediterranean, Velsheda and Topaz continues throughout the week within the framework of the Voiles. The two giants compete in the Super Maxis squad, IRC 2. The crew of Topaz , the J Class designed by Frank C. Paine and launched in 2015, are looking for revenge after being beaten last month by Velsheda in of the Maxi Yacht Rolex Cup in Porto Cervo, Sardinia. The competition for class J yachts at Les Voiles de Saint-Tropez takes place under IRC handicap in a group of six IRC 2 boats that feature designs as diverse as the Swan 82 Kallima, the 32.9m Wally Green Eyes , Silvertip , 33.83m long and designed by Dubois, and the Swan 80 Umiko . Francesco d'Angelis is sailing Topaz again as a tactician. Jules Salter, the English sailor, former Volvo Ocean Race winner and TP52 world champion, is looking forward to sailing Velsheda again . Topaz arrives with the winning crew from Velsheda to Porto Cervo virtually unchanged, with several Europeans recruited to replace New Zealanders who cannot travel. The regatta of the day kept all its promises, with a sumptuous mano a mano that lasted until the entrance to the gulf where Velsheda saw himself forced into abandonment, veil torn, when he had gained the upper hand over Topaz .
    The J-Class was used to define tall racing yachts built between 1930 and 1937 according to the Universal Gauge, established by Nathanael Herreshoff in 1903 and the New York Yacht Club as part of standardization of water sport at all sizes. 20 large J Class were designed between 1930 and 1937. Ten were built, Shamrock V, Endeavor, Velsheda , the originals, Ranger, Hanuman, Lionheart, Rainbow, Topaz, Svea , recent constructions on period plans.

The beautiful 72-foot battle A
    demanding day for the crews and for the equipment subjected to severe testing in gusts of nearly 30 knots. The Race Management chose to reduce the route of the smaller Maxis grouped together in IRC 3 and 4. Many preferred to return to port rather than jeopardize the rest of the good week underway. The 72-footers reigned supreme in these IRC Groups 3 and 4. Jethou thus arrives in the rear of the Super Maxis, ahead of Vesper and North Star by just a few minutes . Obviously, the 72-foot week promises to be particularly hotly contested.

Did you know?
    Ant, or Foumique.
    Located in the open sea, Fourmigue Island is a tiny rock lost in the bay of Lavandou, about 3 km from the coast. It is surmounted by a lighthouse. It is a popular crossing mark for the Voiles to the West routes.

T opaz , designed in 1935, built in 2015
    The Class J Topaz (J8) is an unbuilt 1935 project by Frank C Paine A. Frank Paine had previously designed the yacht "Yankee", which was built by Lawleys in 1930. J8 was researched by Hoek's office and proved to be a good all-rounder. This is the longest waterline in the J-class, with the highest keel aspect ratio combined with the lowest wetted area. Frank Paine had already calculated in the 1930s that it was better to take a penalty on increased waterline length in a compromise between sail area and displacement.

They said:
    Danny Galichan, Boat Captain Magic Carpet Cubed
    " We are a little disappointed with the final result (2nd in corrected time), because we were in contact with the best, Comanche and Rambler , up to Cap Camarat. A small problem has stopped us and we are wasting a lot of time. It was a superb regatta, with somewhat difficult sea conditions as we approached Lavandou, but wind and good speeds. Everyone on board is generally very satisfied this evening… ”

Extraordinary yacht…
    Wally 107 Green Eyes
    The 32.83m yacht (ex. Kauris III) was built by Wally in Monaco in their shipyard in Fano. Her interior was designed by design house Studio Castellini and it was completed in 2002. The exterior design of this luxury vessel is the work of German Frers and she was last renovated in 2017. She sails in Saint -Tropez with the Grands Maxis in IRC 2, in particular against the two J Classes.

Program 2021
    Week 2: Les Voiles de Saint-Tropez, Maxi Yachts
    Monday October 4: reception of large modern vessels over 18.29 m
    Wally, IRCA, Maxi yachts
    Tuesday 5, Wednesday 6, Thursday 7, Friday 8, Saturday 9: regattas
    Saturday 9 October: prize giving (week 2)

http://www.lesvoilesdesaint-tropez.f...pagne-sailing/

Blog Entries

Racing Returns After Wednesday Blowout

– Rambler returns!
    – The Romance of French Kiss (IRC4)
    – Maxis love Saint Tropez

It was under azure skies, the race zone bathed in sunshine, that the 44 Maxis (Aegir having remained in port) competing in the second week of Les Voiles 2021 negotiated the day’s coastal course. With an E’ly wind and a hint of S’ly picking up to around ten or so knots, the Race Committee managed to concoct a fine looped circuit of around thirty miles or so towards the Nioulargue mark on very ordered seas. With another day comes another race configuration and the medium wind and flat waters reenergised the Mini Maxis, which had been much less comfortable in the very rough weather at the start of the week. All the crews revelled in the opportunity to get the very best out of their admirable steeds in the wake of Comanche, which absolutely excelled in all the day’s weather configurations.

Rambler or Magic Carpet Cubed? Place your bets!

With less pressure in the sails, the absence of chop and a few variations in wind direction, the conditions for this second race of Act 2 of Les Voiles were virtually a reversal of the trends observed in the initial rankings. Seriously outpaced by Comanche, Rambler and Magic Carpet Cubed earlier on in the week, the Wally 100 Y3K was able to wreak her revenge today by staying in as close contact as possible to the leaders to take the race win on corrected time. Rambler dug deep with some upwind performances that were fairly similar to those of Comanche and hoisted herself up onto the top step of the provisional general ranking.

Damien Durchon has been the boat captain of Comanche since 2019, a post he previously occupied on Mari Cha III and IV. « It’s Mitch Booth who skippers the boat when we’re racing. I am responsible for the boat the rest of the time, transforming myself into crew the moment the starting gun fires. We’ve had another wonderful day, which was really suited to us because as the wind swung round to the south, the course offered up lots of reaching, the boat’s favourite point of sail. We took the win again in elapsed time, but we know it’s impossible to recover from our rating. As a result, our challenge is to win all the races in elapsed time. To do that, we must try to contain our two most rugged adversaries, Magic Carpet Cubed and Rambler. They are formidable in the very light airs. I’m very familiar with Les Voiles and I like the new format, which treats the Maxis to some fantastic racing which all flows much better as the race zone is not so crowded, with boats of all kinds and varying degrees of manoeuvrability…”

Lyra scores a bullet!
    The clash of the titans, Topaz and Velsheda in IRC2, reached a whole new level of intensity today, the two J Classes posting very similar performances at every point of sail along the route from Nioulargue to Issambres. Powered up nicely under Le Portalet, Topaz straightaway boasted a slight advantage which her crew endeavoured to build on. Silvertip, the Dubois design, whose pretensions are clear, really brought her A game, but ultimately it was Topaz which slipped under Le Portalet with a comfortable lead after nearly three hours of thrilling mano a mano. This evening, she’s in a rather flattering first place in the overall provisional ranking ahead of Silvertip. Among the other groups there were a number of boats who ruled supreme today: Jethou in IRC3A, the pretty group of 72-footers and the Wally 77.4 Lyra, which scored another bullet after a phenomenal victory in the big breeze of Tuesday. Behind her in second place this evening is the Marten 72 Aragon, which is already 5 points off the pace! After the cancellation of their race on the Tuesday, the IRC4s validated their first race and it’s French Kiss, which was first in both corrected and elapsed time and tops the leader board. Meantime, the Wallys have their own ranking and their own Trophy, independent of their measurement groups. Unsurprisingly Lyra is leading the charge this evening after two races, ahead of Ryokan 2 and Magic Carpet

Andrew McIrvine, Secretary General of the International Maxi Association; helping the organisers to attract even more owners…
    “I’m delighted that Les Voiles agreed to our participation with this second week dedicated to the Maxis! Our goal, our objective, is to assist organisers the world over with understanding and integrating the specific needs of Maxi yachts. In this way, we began working in Porto Cervo and we now have a presence here as well as in the Caribbean, on a very friendly footing. We want to be able to offer advice to the owners in our Class about events which are geared up specially for them. The idea is to encourage them to come along in increasing numbers. These owners spend significant sums over the course of a week, on their crews, logistics, etc. and naturally they need to be certain that the event will be organised appropriately. However, they adore Saint Tropez! Saint Tropez is so special that this year we’ve managed to gather together our finest fleet. To have the port to ourselves is fabulous and there’s certainly a case for doing the same in the future. It’s all part of the magic of Saint Tropez that you can pace the docks and admire the J Classes, Wallys and all these Maxis! This year’s atmosphere is really all about renewal. We’ve only had a few events this year so finishing the season here makes everyone feel happy and enthusiastic. The Race Committee has done a fantastic job managing the racing with boats which have very different potentials, like Comanche and Rambler, and some of the yachts are more geared towards sailing rather than racing… Some crews are very professional, but once again the atmosphere is a very happy one this week.”

RESULTS