Thread: Spindrift On Standby For Jules Verne Record Attempt

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Spindrift On Standby For Jules Verne Record Attempt

Only a few hours before the standby period for our upcoming round the world sailing record officially begins.
    Let's look back at the last few weeks, with the final preparation of the team for this 4th attempt onboard the maxi-trimaran.

A big day for Spindrift racing and the maxi-trimaran Sails of Change:

We are officially on standby for the Jules Verne around the world sailing record!
    let’s hope the wait for a good weather window won’t be too long, so we can set sail and start the attempt! For now, we are in code red 🔴

🔴 Code red : no possible start
    🟡 Code yellow : possible start in the next 72 hours
    🟢 Code green : possible start in the next 24 hours
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Blog Entries

Dona's On Board Reporter Debut

At 53 years old, the Swiss businesswoman, co-president of the Bertarelli Foundation, Dona Bertarelli has decided to set off again on a Jules-Verne Trophy aboard the maxi “Sails of change”, on stand-by from this Monday. Six years after her first world tour, she wishes to share this human adventure.

Roughly translated from:
    le Telegramme

Dona Bertarelli has decided to start again with a Jules-Verne Trophy. She will be a reporter on board to try to bring this world tour to life from the inside. (Photo Chris Schmid)

Jules-Verne Trophy

Six years after your first round-the-world trip, you are leaving on a boat that has undergone a fairly significant workover

We cut the central hull and it is true that there is less vibration on the boat, it behaves better in the sea especially. It deviates less in the sea, it is more pleasant. We have also done a lot of work in terms of aerodynamics, the cap and there is real comfort and real safety for the sailors. We are much more protected. There, we made a last trip to sea. We hope to have a weather window quickly but it is not impossible if it is dragging a bit that we go out to sea again.

40 days 23 hours and 30 minutes: not easy to beat?

The idea is to have a little luck to beat this record. The weather will give us the rhythm and distribute the deal. We will not be able to go more than what the weather can offer us. Even if we have the right boat, the right crew, we will also need a little help. We know that it is possible if we have the favorable weather situation even if we know that it is a very difficult record to get.

Is there anything special about the Jules-Verne Trophy?

It is always special because you are fighting against yourself and against a time. I think it's also very personal. Obviously, the professional sailors who are involved with us on this Trophy will have a different feeling from mine. In 2016, when we crossed the line, we had completed the lap but we had not broken the record. Yet for me it was already a victory. The fact of being able to do the whole tour together without having any damage and even if we had some of being able to repair them, to go back up, to stick together… for me, it is above all a human adventure. Obviously, there is the record, obviously, we are going there for a while but it is almost the icing on the cake.

In 2019, you had decided to stay ashore, what made you want to go on a round-the-world trip?

The urge has always been there but things weren't right for me to leave at that time. My children, who were young when I left in 2015 - my daughter was 13 years old - took a lot out of them. It was the whole family unit that went to sea. Often it is either the father or the mother who goes to sea and the other stays ashore. Yann (Guichard the skipper) and I were leaving. And I didn't think I could bring that back to my kids in 2019. Especially since I had several of my kids getting ready for the baccalaureate. Now, they have all finished their studies, they have grown up, they are of legal age. So things are reunited so that I can go back. Maybe the first time around, I left to prove to myself that I was capable of it and to push the limits.

The maxi "Sails of Change" will be on stand-by from this Monday November 1st for an attempt at the Jules-Verne Trophy. (Photo Pierre Bouras)

Before the departure of the maxi in 2019, you had confided "maybe this time my place is not on board" what has changed since?

I think that this pandemic, these last 20 months that we have just lived, it has been a difficult situation for everyone. But for parents like me, it was also a pleasure to be able to have children at home. We were confined together. And to be able to have breakfast, lunch and dinner together for several weeks in a row is not a trivial situation and it is not going to be repeated that often, we hope. I took it as happiness. We talked a lot during this time and that's where the Sails of Change program , “Setting the Sails of Change”, took its essence. And we decided to carry this message in our veils. It was all the more logical to go to sea to carry this message.

Did your kids urge you to go?

They didn't push me at all. They didn't even think I was going to leave. And then the opportunity came: we were always looking for a sailor and when it came time to make certain decisions, it started to ripen in my head. I started talking to Yann about it. And slowly things happened, it became obvious that I had my place on board. Certainly on a role a little different from the one I played in 2015, but a role that I know well and that I take to heart. And sharing this with the children of “Spindrift of Schools” (*) makes me want to go back.

Besides, there will be Duncan one of your sons on board: how do you imagine sharing this world tour with him?

It's particular. I saw him leave for the first time in 2019. It was very moving for me to see him leave for me in a way. I was extremely proud. He was still very young at the time (22 years old). Now to go with him is yet another dimension. I have a personal challenge, it is to put the mother aside and he will have his own: put the son aside. Obviously, there will be a benevolent look, but I must give him his place as a professional on board. He has a job to do at the same level as the others and I must not interfere as a mom. Likewise, he shouldn't try to protect me because a son always wants to protect his mom.

You are going to be an on-board reporter: how do you imagine this role?

I imagine it very simply. I will try to get you on board during this world tour. Try to keep communication simple and close. I was able to work with Yann Riou, a very talented mediaman who was on board in 2015. I cannot boast of having the capacities of Yann Riou and many others, who make it their profession. I will do it my way with simpler communication but hopefully close.

What do you want to find at sea?

I absolutely want to see the beauty of each of the oceans again. Because the Indian is not the same as the Pacific, nor the Atlantic. And to return there with more experience and maturity, I have a real desire and an apprehension somewhere to succeed in bringing this emotion to life because I am responsible for it this time.

Did you prepare differently from the first time?

I confirm. I prepared very differently. The last time, we bought the maxi with the idea that we could take it around the world and do the Jules-Verne Trophy with me on board, who had never raced offshore. So I had to learn ocean racing. To know if I felt good at sea, if I was able to be at sea for several weeks in a row without weariness. So we had done the Fastnet, the Route de la Découverte several times… This time, to tell the truth, the last ocean race I did dates back to 2016 during the Quebec - Saint-Malo. Since that time, I have not spent more than a day on board the maxi, I had other obligations. I have resumed navigation in recent weeks. Will it be missing? At the same time, physically and mentally, I almost feel more ready and stronger. We'll see. I remain lucid, I know that there are times which are going to be extremely difficult but I hope to have the maturity to go beyond.

You now know where you are going: is there any apprehension?

The feeling is totally different. I had big question marks the first time obviously because I had no idea what to expect at all. There, I don't know if it's more comforting or less comforting to know. But it's not the same type of apprehension at all. I may be less apprehensive, but I don't yet know how to tell you how I feel.

You do a lot of work for the environment and the protection of the oceans: can this world tour allow you to talk about it in another way?

I would like this world tour to give visibility to the cause of oceans, nature and biodiversity. In other circles in which I am used to working which are scientific, conservation and protection but also political circles: to be able to bring this message to a greater number and to a community of athletes who practice their sport in a natural environment. Any athlete appreciates nature as it is, we must understand this nature and understand how to protect it. And the message that we display 30 x 30 on our sails and on the boat: it is the call of the scientists who ask that 30% of the earth and the oceans be protected by 2030.

There have been other attempts since your participation in 2015 and no woman participated: what is your view on that?

The discussion of the place of women in certain circles is always the same: are there enough of them? But there are women like Sam Davies or Justine Mettraux who fought for their place in this environment and fought to find and keep their sponsors. They brilliantly brought to life the emotion of sport, of their adventure. If we look in the sailing clubs, there are quite a few young girls registered. Whether we give these young girls the means to become professional in this sport, the question is still there.

(*) Educational kit to “learn nature

Blog Entries

The Light Is Green For Spindrift Jules Verne Attempt

Jules Verne Trophy:

A Thursday start for the maxi-trimaran Sails of Change
    Dona Bertarelli, Yann Guichard and their nine crew will begin a fresh Jules Verne Trophy record attempt this Thursday. Early in the morning, the maxi-trimaran Sails of Change will cast off from her port of registry in La Trinité-Sur-Mer (Morbihan) to make for the start line offshore of Ushant. Their goal: to complete the non-stop, unassisted round the world course, leaving to port the three capes (Good Hope, Leeuwin, Horn), faster than the record time set by Francis Joyon and his men in 2017 of 40 days, 23 hours, 30 minutes and 30 seconds. It’s also an opportunity for the crew of the maxi-trimaran Sails of Change to support the #30x30 campaign, which aims to protect 30% of the planet by 2030 and raise awareness about this cause.

A 4TH RECORD ATTEMPT
    Early on Thursday morning, the maxi-trimaran Sails of Change will leave her port of registry of La Trinité-Sur-Mer (Morbihan). On board, the 11 sailors on the largest offshore racing trimaran in the world will set a course for the island of Ushant offshore of Finistère. Later in the day, they’ll cross the Jules Verne Trophy start line located between Créac'h lighthouse and the Lizard Point lighthouse, with the objectives of breaking the round the world record under sail, which stands at 40 days, 23 hours, 30 minutes and 30 seconds, as well as flying the flag for Sails of Change and the ‘30x30’ campaign, which aims to protect 30% of the planet by 2030.

For this fourth record attempt, the crew led by skipper Yann Guichard has pulled out all the stops in a bid to optimise the trimaran. The boat’s hull has notably been shortened by three metres to enhance the balance at the helm and limit vibration. On top of this, the cockpit has also been redesigned throughout to make it more comfortable for the sailors and less exposed to the sea spray. The maxi-trimaran’s sail plan has also been redesigned, the aerodynamics improved and the boat has undergone a weight-reduction programme.

At sea, Dona Bertarelli and Yann Guichard will be surrounded by a crew which boasts a combination of seasoned offshore racing sailors and high-energy youngsters.

On previous occasions, the team has posted the 3rd best time in the Jules Verne Trophy (in 2015 – 2016 in 47 days 10 hours and 59 minutes), earning Dona Bertarelli the title of fastest women around the world in 2015, together with the record for the Ushant – Equator section (in 2019 in 4 days 20 hours and 7 minutes). The whole team will be setting sail with these reference times uppermost in their thoughts, eager to take on one of the greatest challenges in offshore racing.

A FAVOURABLE WEATHER WINDOW
    A very quick descent towards the equator and the Cape of Good Hope are essential conditions for the success of the record attempt. For the first time since the start of standby on 1 November, a weather window is offering up a great opportunity to drop southwards, as Benjamin Schwartz, navigator on the maxi-trimaran Sails of Change explains: “Currently, a very powerful Azores High is in the process of dropping back down towards the islands of the same name, whilst a low pressure system to the west of Cape Verde is filling. The uniting of these two phenomena means that the trade wind is set to build from Thursday, which will enable us to drop down towards the equator very quickly. At the same time, a low pressure system over the north of England will drop down towards Brittany on Friday, bringing with it big seas and lots of breeze. As a result, the aim is to avoid all that by setting sail early evening on Thursday. According to the routing, this weather situation should enable us to make the equator inside the record time we set in 2019, namely a little less than 5 days, which is perfect for the start of an attempt! After that, there is still some uncertainty about the doldrums, which may hinder our progress for longer than planned. Finally, in the South Atlantic, we’re monitoring a low pressure system level with Brazil, which we may be able to position ourselves ahead of to make for the Cape of Good Hope inside the time set by Francis Joyon in 2017. Today, the weather at Good Hope is very good, but that may still change as the position of the Saint Helena High and the way the low pressure system will roll through are yet to be tied down as that’s still a long way off (D+10)”.

Therefore, the way the weather systems link together in the South Atlantic will be key in our bid to hunt down the record and slip along into the Indian Ocean as quickly as possible.

SAILS OF CHANGE, A ROUND THE WORLD FOR THE ‘30x30’ CAMPAIGN
    In 2021, the maxi-trimaran boasts a livery in the colours of ‘Sails of Change’. Sails of Change is creating a community of sports and nature enthusiasts eager for a sustainable future for our planet. Founders Yann Guichard, Dona Bertarelli and her children are committed to sharing ideas and information, creating partnerships to protect and restore the environment and work to bring about significant changes for a sustainable future for all.

The first campaign supported by Sails of Change, ‘30x30’ is a global call to action to protect at least 30% of the ocean and the earth by 2030. The maxi-trimaran will deliver this message around the world, with #30x30 logos emblazoned on her sails and hulls, together with distinctive blue and green colour-coding for the new livery on the racing stable’s flagship.

“Through the medium of a sport that we love, I invite everyone to climb aboard with us in this human adventure and discover the beauty of nature and join us in our circumnavigation of the globe,” says Dona Bertarelli, on-board reporter for this latest attempt.

Within the context of this fourth attempt, the whole crew is keen to show what is within the realms of possibility during this challenge targeting self-sufficiency in energy. For the first time, the whole journey will be undertaken with no auxiliary engine.

“We’re going to take on an additional challenge, since we’ll be attempting to break the round the world record without using any energy produced using fossil fuels. Our main sources of energy will come from the sun and wind, as well as an on-board bike-powered generator. We are keen to show it’s possible,” explains skipper Yann Guichard.

2021 CREW ON THE MAXI-TRIMARAN SAILS OF CHANGE:
    Yann Guichard - Skipper
    Dona Bertarelli - On-board reporter
    Benjamin Schwartz - Navigator
    Jacques Guichard - Watch leader
    Xavier Revil - Watch leader
    Duncan Späth - Helm / Trimmer
    Gregory Gendron - Helm / Trimmer
    Julien Villion - Helm / Trimmer
    Thierry Chabagny - Helm / Trimmer
    Jackson Bouttell - Watch leader, bowman
    Yann Jauvin - Watch leader, bowman
    Jean-Yves Bernot - Onshore router

JULES VERNE TROPHY IN BRIEF:
    Start and finish: line between Créac’h lighthouse (Island of Ushant) and Lizard Point (England)
    Crewed round the world via the three capes (Good Hope, Leeuwin, Horn)
    Shortest distance to cover: 21,600 miles (around 40,000 kilometres)
    Ratification: World Sailing Speed Record Council, www.sailspeedrecords.com
    Current time to beat: 40 days, 23 hours, 30 minutes and 30 seconds
    Average speed: 21.96 knots
    Date the last record was set: January 2017
    Titleholder: IDEC Sport, Francis Joyon and his 5 crewmen

INTERMEDIATE CREWED REFERENCE TIMES:
    Ushant-equator: 4d 20h 07’ (Spindrift 2 in 2019)
    Equator-Agulhas Cape: 6d 08h 55’ (Banque Populaire V in 2012)
    Agulhas Cape-Cape Leeuwin: 4d 09h 32’ (IDEC Sport in 2017)
    Cape Leeuwin-Cape Horn: 9d 08h 46’ (IDEC Sport in 2017)
    Cape Horn-Equator: 7d 04h 27’ (Banque Populaire V in 2012)
    Equator-Ushant: 5d 19h 21’ (IDEC Sport in 2017)
    CREWED WSSRC RECORDS:
    North Atlantic crossing (Ushant-Equator): 4d 20h 07’ (Spindrift 2 in 2019)
    Indian Ocean crossing (Agulhas Cape-South Tasmania): 5d 21h 07’ 45’’ (IDEC Sport in 2017)
    Pacific Ocean crossing (South Tasmania-Cape Horn): 7d 21h 13’ 31’’ (IDEC Sport in 2017)
    Equator-Equator: 29d 09h 10’ 55’’ (IDEC Sport in 2017)
    Round the world (Jules Verne Trophy): 40d 23h 30’ 30’’ (IDEC Sport in 2017)

Blog Entries

Spindrift Remains Tethered In La Trinité-Sur-Mer,

The crew of the maxi-trimaran Sails of Change postpones its departure
    Upon further analysis of the weather files, the Spindrift team has decided to postpone its departure for a fourth attempt at the Jules Verne Trophy. Indeed, the weather conditions in the South Atlantic are shaping up to be less appealing than those analysed on Wednesday evening.

This Thursday morning, the whole crew was ready to leave the dock in La Trinité-Sur-Mer, Brittany, to head out to sea and set sail from the Créac’h lighthouse over the course of the day. The latest position of the Azores High remains favourable for a very quick ‘descent’ to the equator thanks to a powerful N to NE’ly breeze. The problem comes further down the racetrack as the low pressure systems rolling off Brazil are no longer shifting across towards the Kerguelen Islands, leaving room for a series of high pressure ‘bubbles’ across the course, which are synonymous with a lack of stable breeze…

Another attempt

The nine crew supporting Dona Bertarelli and Yann Guichard were all in attendance dockside in La Trinité-Sur-Mer, ready to get going, but they will have to be patient for several more days at least until the weather situation becomes favourable again in both the North and South Atlantic. It’s worth noting that the best WSSRC time (World Sailing Speed Record Council in charge of validating international records) between Ushant and the equator is still held by Spindrift 2 helmed by Yann Guichard and his team in 2019 (4d 20h 7’) while the record for the South Atlantic crossing is still in the hands of Francis Joyon and his crew on IDEC Sport in 2017 (7d 02h 23’)…

“That’s the nature of Jules Verne Trophy records and what makes them very hard to beat! This is especially true when the American and European weather files are in agreement that it would be necessary to go right around the outside of the Saint Helena High, avoid the ice close to South Georgia and finally reach the longitude of Good Hope in thirteen days… Sails of Change could still cross the equator in under four and a half days. However, despite the configuration in the South Atlantic still being favourable yesterday, that is no longer the case today. On top of that, the low pressure systems in the Southern Ocean are on a very low trajectory instead of tracking eastwards, which would indicate a rather laborious passage across the Indian Ocean,” explained Yann Guichard on Thursday morning, after consulting the latest grib fles with his onshore router (Jean-Yves Bernot) and his on-board navigator (Benjamin Schwartz).

In fact, it’s vital to be more than 90% sure you’ll reach the Cape of Good Hope in a sub-twelve-day time to stand a chance of winning the Jules Verne Trophy… That would not be the case if they were to set sail today as planned as there’s precious little chance of them being able to latch onto a last low pressure system rolling off Brazil after a week at sea! Naturally, the team remains on the alert to take on a round the world without using fossil energy (a first in the racing world!) and defend the colours of Sails of Change, which is flying the flag for the ‘30×30’ campaign (a global call to action to protect at least 30% of the ocean and the earth by 2030). See you soon for a fresh attempt over the coming days…

2021 crew on the maxi-trimaran Sails of Change:

Yann Guichard – Skipper
    Dona Bertarelli – On-board reporter
    Benjamin Schwartz – Navigator
    Jacques Guichard– Watch leader
    Xavier Revil– Watch leader
    Duncan Späth – Helm / Trimmer
    Gregory Gendron – Helm / Trimmer
    Julien Villion – Helm / Trimmer
    Thierry Chabagny – Helm / Trimmer
    Jackson Bouttell – Bowman
    Yann Jauvin – Bowman