Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Detroit Sailing

  1. #1

    Thumbs up Detroit Sailing

    Anything and everything. Post it here.


    So.... How about this Music Television?

  2. #2
    You kids, with your Zima and your Dan Fogelberg....
    Concrete and cars are their own prison bars....
    Meridian Racing

  3. #3
    Mogul Masher Kris O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SLC mostly, but SFO & ORD too
    Posts
    423
    Ok here's the hot topics that I know of...

    Mackinac Ferry service consolidation....seems to be some side bar discussions of trying to eliminate 1 or 2 of the 3 companies that service the island. One of the companies facing elimination seems to be friends with several sailors. BYC thinks a price increase would occur with consolidation and is concerned it would hurt PHMAC participartion...(really?? like a ferry ticket that a crew member pays for will determine if a boat races or not)

    Grizzly is going to the Benecow 37 NA's and everyone wished Chuck good luck...glad to see hear he is back on the water

    Karl is getting married

    Anything else?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris O View Post
    Ok here's the hot topics that I know of...

    Mackinac Ferry service consolidation....seems to be some side bar discussions of trying to eliminate 1 or 2 of the 3 companies that service the island. One of the companies facing elimination seems to be friends with several sailors. BYC thinks a price increase would occur with consolidation and is concerned it would hurt PHMAC participartion...(really?? like a ferry ticket that a crew member pays for will determine if a boat races or not)

    Grizzly is going to the Benecow 37 NA's and everyone wished Chuck good luck...glad to see hear he is back on the water

    Karl is getting married

    Anything else?
    I think the biggest thing from BYC's perspective is Shepler is a race sponsor, not that they would have to ride different ferry.
    Concrete and cars are their own prison bars....
    Meridian Racing

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by doghouse View Post
    I think the biggest thing from BYC's perspective is Shepler is a race sponsor, not that they would have to ride different ferry.
    I think that BYC's issue with the ferry has little to do with Shepler's throwing a couple of coins in the pot. If the ferry service is turned into a monopoly, there is nothing to stop that ferry company from anally raping us for either our race or Chicago's. We already get bent over the barrel by the hotels, restaurants, and everyone else. You are a slave to the Island during that time. It is simply too much of an inconvenience to seek lodging and food off the Island for most race participants and the businesses there know it. Therefore they jack the rates to fucking bejesus and expect us to smile while they bend us over. Only one ferry company would guarandamntee that we'd get fucked by them too. There would be no competition to keep rates in line.

    By holding the finish at Mackinaw City, we would have choices in nearby hotels, restaurants, etc.. at other towns. This would help prevent the rates from increasing by three-fold just because a bunch of drunk idiots happen to show up that weekend.

    Just a few years ago I would have been totally opposed to this idea. Nowadays I'm far more interested in the quality of the race vs. ending up at the Pony. The last time I sprang for a hotel room (Main Street Inn) for the wife the room alone was $1200 after taxes and fees. Now add in meals, drinks, travel costs, and a little shopping. How many can actually afford that for a three day getaway where 1 of 2 of the booked guests may only get 1 night in the room? Fuck that noise. If I'm shelling out $3k for a three day vacation I'm sure as hell going to be there for the whole thing. It's time the Island learned that we're not their god damn prisoners. They want our business? They're going to have to earn it.

    Note for rabid stalker retards who need therapy: This is my personal opinion only. Call the friggin Commodore if you want the Club's position on things.

  6. #6
    Mogul Masher Kris O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SLC mostly, but SFO & ORD too
    Posts
    423
    A much easier solution is just don't make it into a vacation....I mean really the race takes 48 hours, I've had longer layovers....the island hasn't changed in 100 years so its not like you're going to see anything new by staying longer. I race there, take a shower, grab dinner, have some drinks with friends, sleep on the boat....since i didn't sleep the during the race...its easy....grab breakfast at the Chuck wagon diner, ferry ride, taxi ride to airport, plane, home in bed by Tuesday night. I may buy some fudge but that's about it....certainly don't need another t-shirt.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris O View Post
    A much easier solution is just don't make it into a vacation....I mean really the race takes 48 hours, I've had longer layovers....the island hasn't changed in 100 years so its not like you're going to see anything new by staying longer. I race there, take a shower, grab dinner, have some drinks with friends, sleep on the boat....since i didn't sleep the during the race...its easy....grab breakfast at the Chuck wagon diner, ferry ride, taxi ride to airport, plane, home in bed by Tuesday night. I may buy some fudge but that's about it....certainly don't need another t-shirt.
    Sure. And for 4 of the 7 Bayview Macs I've done it has been exactly that. I only do the Hotel thing when the wife is there. There's lots of people who show up, race, and get the hell out; there's lots of people who turn it into a week long vacation for the whole fam; and there all sorts of people in between. The Island has become bent on sticking it to all of them.

    The goods and services available at the Island simply aren't worth the 'luxury tax' we're being saddled with. Changing the party location to St. Ignace, Mac City, or a number of other places matters not one bit to me. I'm all in favor of pushing it to Bay Harbor. I hate Bay Harbor, but the added distance and challenge is what I care about.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Shife View Post
    I think that BYC's issue with the ferry has little to do with Shepler's throwing a couple of coins in the pot. If the ferry service is turned into a monopoly, there is nothing to stop that ferry company from anally raping us for either our race or Chicago's. We already get bent over the barrel by the hotels, restaurants, and everyone else. You are a slave to the Island during that time. It is simply too much of an inconvenience to seek lodging and food off the Island for most race participants and the businesses there know it. Therefore they jack the rates to fucking bejesus and expect us to smile while they bend us over. Only one ferry company would guarandamntee that we'd get fucked by them too. There would be no competition to keep rates in line.

    By holding the finish at Mackinaw City, we would have choices in nearby hotels, restaurants, etc.. at other towns. This would help prevent the rates from increasing by three-fold just because a bunch of drunk idiots happen to show up that weekend.

    Just a few years ago I would have been totally opposed to this idea. Nowadays I'm far more interested in the quality of the race vs. ending up at the Pony. The last time I sprang for a hotel room (Main Street Inn) for the wife the room alone was $1200 after taxes and fees. Now add in meals, drinks, travel costs, and a little shopping. How many can actually afford that for a three day getaway where 1 of 2 of the booked guests may only get 1 night in the room? Fuck that noise. If I'm shelling out $3k for a three day vacation I'm sure as hell going to be there for the whole thing. It's time the Island learned that we're not their god damn prisoners. They want our business? They're going to have to earn it.

    Note for rabid stalker retards who need therapy: This is my personal opinion only. Call the friggin Commodore if you want the Club's position on things.
    I'm not opposed to going somewhere else for the party myself, it would be a lot cheaper. I just don't see ferry rates as teh driver here, it has to be guarding a long time sponsors interest. Does 10 bucks more ferry fare really make a difference at what we all know can be a couple grand trip? I just don't see it.
    Concrete and cars are their own prison bars....
    Meridian Racing

  9. #9
    Hey gang - its me. I don't pretend to be privy to all the intricacies of what effects losing Shepler's (and a resulting monopoly) would mean to BYC, but I do know there is more to it than just the passenger fares for racers and family riding back and forth.

    There is a lot of staff and "stuff" that has to get schlepped on and off the island for the race every year, like race committee, race committee equipment, computers, boxes of all the apparel sold from Mission Point, booze for the party, not to mention the band and all of their equipment (that one is a biggie).

    Those costs are paid from the race budget. With operating budgets as skinny as they are these days, a substantial increase in getting that stuff across could be a big problem I'd think.

    Just sayin' . . . . .I think there's a little more to this than BYC sticking up for a buddy and member, and a passenger fare hike.

  10. #10
    Another logistical reality:

    2500 racers. Add family. All those people needing to eat/drink at the same time.

    Count the number of available hotels/rooms and restaurants/bars/seats in Mackinaw City within walking distance. Or St. Ignace, or Harbor Springs or Charlevoix.

    It's a physical impossibility for any other city in Northern Michigan other than the island to handle the capacity that this race puts out without everyone having cars. That part scares me pretty bad. Trying to find enough designated drivers after a Mackinac to pour everyone into bed? :-O

    Help me out here. Mackinaw City is just one short street with a few bars and restaurants. Yes, there are lots of hotels, but they are a ways out of town. Don't know how many taxis they have in the city.

    I think the seating capacity for bars and restaurants is the biggest problem.

    Anyone have any actual numbers? Comments?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •