View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. The Three Bay Triangle, Part II

We departed Mystic Seaport on June 10th with a forecast that looked like a good 12 knot sunny sailing day for our long coasting up to Narragansett Bay, but like all forecasts their only true somewhere else. We motored all day and as we turned the corner at Point Judith we could see the fleet of racing sailboats off of Newport competing in the New York Yacht Club’s “Annual” regatta - supposedly the longest running regatta in the United States. We weren’t ready for Newport yet so put into Dutch ...

Updated 06-28-2012 at 04:23 AM by Ballard Sailor

Categories
    East Coast Cruise for 2012
  2. The Three Bay Triangle, Part I

My god it’s been a long time since I updated this blog! We’ve seen and done so much I don’t know where to start. We’ve been to the Mystic Seaport Museum - A-mazing place, we’ve ran into a Seattle sailing friend and Bainbridge boat in Jamestown Rhode Island, we visited the Herreshoff Museum, toured Newport and ran into a Hood River friend in a bar there, we sailed to Cuttyhunk upwind with the #4 and main with spray flying everywhere, we ran into another Bainbridge ...

Updated 06-28-2012 at 04:18 AM by Ballard Sailor

Categories
    East Coast Cruise for 2012
  3. Block Island and then Fisher's Island

Our plan Wednesday was to find some Ice for the icebox, walk the old harbor town and then take a longer hike out to the North light house in the afternoon. Once again we got going slowly and finally we dinghied over to the boat basin and walked off into the old harbor town. Situated on the Atlantic side of Block Island, the old harbor is small with dockage for 10 or 12 fishing boats, some charter fishing ...
  4. Greenport Long Island and then sailing over to Block Island

The morning dawned light and gray and we woke slowly. While having breakfast, we’re hailed by the harbor master that was coming alongside in his Whaler. Mike Twohig was his name and it turns out that his son is out in the PNW driving a ferry boat between Seattle and Bainbridge Island. Needless to say we had a bit to talk about and as our breakfast cooled on the table, we chatted away about the PNW and ...
  5. More Oyster Bay then Northport Harbor

On Friday morning we dropped our mooring and motored around the corner of the bay to find an anchorage in the middle of the SCYC mooring field. Great spot found, we set the hook and dinghy’d in to the SCYC pier and let the launch guys know it was our boat anchored there and headed up to the pavilion for team picking. It was just like elementary school, you here, you here, you here. Fortunately ...
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast