View RSS Feed

Ballard Sailor

The Three Bay Triangle, Part I

Rate this Entry
My god it’s been a long time since I updated this blog! We’ve seen and done so much I don’t know where to start. We’ve been to the Mystic Seaport Museum - A-mazing place, we’ve ran into a Seattle sailing friend and Bainbridge boat in Jamestown Rhode Island, we visited the Herreshoff Museum, toured Newport and ran into a Hood River friend in a bar there, we sailed to Cuttyhunk upwind with the #4 and main with spray flying everywhere, we ran into another Bainbridge Island boat in Cuttyhunk Harbor, we visited Jennifer’s parents in Falmouth, MA and during our stay ran into that same Bainbridge Island person from Cuttyhunk at a breakfast diner (?!?) and then left the upper arm for Nantucket Island in some amazing heat. All that in one sentence, I know, but I feel like it’s been a whirl wind excursion since last I wrote.

We left our solitary anchorage in East Harbor, Fishers Island somewhat reluctantly because it was the first place we have been to since Barnegat Bay we had all to ourselves. Yes there are no amenities there, no dock, no pool, no moorings, no nothin’ really. Nothing but a protected anchorage surrounded by small islands covered with nesting birds, an unused secluded beach to walk on and spectacular views of lighthouses, trees and houses in the distance - as close to a PNW anchorage as you can get (if you ignore the 8’ depth we anchored in). We hoisted sail and sailed off the anchor and then reached along the inside of Fishers Island with the 170% up to see the land and while skirting between rocks and small islands found an old lighthouse on an Island that had been converted into what looked like a completely self sustaining Island complete with amphibious vehicle for deliveries. Totally ready for the apocalypse it seems.

The wind soon died and we began motoring across Fishers Sound and up into the Mystic River past Noank, CT at the mouth. The river is long and winding but has plenty of water. The first obstruction is a railroad swing bridge, a very cool bridge and finally one that MacIntosh wasn’t frightened of. He manages to run below near any other bridge, but the swing bridge fascinated him and he stayed on deck to watch. Most of the time the bridge is open, but when it’s shut there is a countdown sign to the side of the bridge. “Bridge opening in 7 minutes.” and so on, cool but kinda funny.

Next up is a short section before the Route 1 bascule bridge that only opens at 40 minutes after the hour. Of course we were late, or early depending on how you look at it, due to having too much fun sailing and then motoring too slowly up the river and we had just missed the opening, oh well.

We played dock rat instead and motored back and forth in the small section of the river checking out marinas and boats before tying up to the town wharf and folding our sails. As soon as we finished with the sails the bridge horn blared and Mac ran below before we shoved off and completed our voyage to Mystic Seaport.

Now Mystic Seaport is a maritime museum, but a much more extensive museum than your thinking of. They have moorage, nothing special and it’s expensive, but the money goes to the museum and you have run of the grounds 24/7 with your moorage fee, so why not eh? The grounds are huge, you can NOT see the entire museum in one day, there is just too much to see. They have transplanted maritime buildings, the originals, from around the east coast to the museum grounds and made every effort to recreate the original feel of the establishments. There are experts in many of the exhibits explaining how things worked back then and there is even an old whaling ship being completely rebuilt in the shipyard that you can climb all over. The weekend we arrived was their Sea Music Festival so all over the grounds were musicians playing old sea shanties, telling sea stories or acting out old fishing rituals for everyone to see. Very cool.

Continued in Part II

Updated 06-28-2012 at 04:18 AM by Ballard Sailor

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
East Coast Cruise for 2012

Comments