Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blokart rules: Port/Starboard vs. "Right Hand rule"

Blokart rules: Port/Starboard vs. "Right Hand rule"

What do you think. Those who are not traditional sailors say that learning starboard vs. port is too difficult.

The instead want the right hand rule which instead means the the blokart on your right hand side has right away. Is that really a rule. Basically what that means is that upwind the starboard tacker has right away, but downwind it reverses and the port tacker has right away?

Which is easier to learn?

What are your thoughts!

Thanks!

sounds like you asked my kids to write the rules

Absolutely, blokart pilots involved in blokart racing (kids fron 9 to 85 y.o.) are trying to make the most safety rules so that everyone can easily access to this sport.

Most of the blokarters, as myself, never sailed (I know it's a shame living in a small island) and in a blokart race, where everything happens really fast in a small area, you have no time to doubt.
    Defeat after defeat 'til the final victory

Quote Originally Posted by Sant de Mon View Post
    Absolutely, blokart pilots involved in blokart racing (kids fron 9 to 85 y.o.) are trying to make the most safety rules so that everyone can easily access to this sport.

Most of the blokarters, as myself, never sailed (I know it's a shame living in a small island) and in a blokart race, where everything happens really fast in a small area, you have no time to doubt.
    I disagree, going downwind, the boat on your right can be covering your wind. The rules of sailing are set so that you don't further disadvantage a boat. It would suck to have someone who's stealing your wind converge on you with more speed than you and then give you a foul.

I do agree aA, is learning basic sailing rules any more difficult? These Blokarts easily go 50 mph on dry lake beds in moderate wind. Closing speeds can be as high as 80mph!!! The consequence of unclear rules at those speeds are serious!!! Who believes that learning when the wind is on the right or starboard side of the craft that you have the right away vs. craft on the other "tack" is too difficult to learn? The benefits of the system allow for very close and safe racing. Why go in some radical new direction and alienate the sport of Blokarting from the world of sailing? In essence, this is what is happening in some regions.

Blokarts needs an International Standard on the basic rules, consistent across all events.

Same thing with calling blokart sailor's pilots! Blokarts have sails (aka sailboats) which need to be trimmed, eased based on the wind direction relative to the sailing craft. Blokarts have to tack upwind and jybe downwind. Blokarts are sailboats. Not airplanes. Last I checked they had no wings and could not fly into the air ;-). Please guys...Blokart sailors are land sailors, not airplane pilots! Nice try!

I really think we need to get this thing back on course for Blokartings sake.

The argument for no port/starboard rule in the Blokart community is most Blokarters are not sailors. Well, they definitely are NOT pilots because blokarts sail like sailboats on land, ie "land sailors!" To say a Blokarter is not a sailor is like sailing a scuba diver is not in the water!!!! Come on guys! Get real!!!!!

This whole conversation is silly. The faction claims they cant learn what a 6 yr. old opti sailor learns on the first day of sailing camp. Sounds more like laziness.

Santi, I love you!!! As I do the Blokart sport and people in general. But I have support port/starboard as blokarting is sailing.

Blokarts are sailing craft. We should adopt simpe sailing rules just as every other sailing craft on the planet does today. To say Blokarts are not sailing craft is the silliest thing I have heard in a long time!!!!

With the worlds in the USA on a huge dry lake bed in 2012, and huge speeds in highly maneuverable and fast accelerating craft, the right hand would be a disaster. 1.5 mile windward leewards, 40 - 50 karts in each race and very high speed starts...it would be very much like an ice-boating regatta. Iceboats have used port/starboard for 100 years!

Quote Originally Posted by aA View Post
    sounds like you asked my kids to write the rules

What you have to consider is that iceboats have it so off the wind the leeward boat is the keep clear vessel. I would have to assume that blokarts have more control than an ice boat which is why I'm on the side to use standard rules

In the USA, we have simply use ice-boating rules. These rules account for the downwind need to bear off rapidly in a gust. We are working on editing a new much nicer looking page to look like blokarts.

Anyway, this is how we do Blokart rules it in the USA and it has worked extraordinarily well. Simple, in alignment with sailing worldwide (KEY!!!!) and all on one page. No reading.

For those who say its too hard, perhaps we can get you a tutor. It would likely be a 9 year old in any local Jr. Sailing program. They learned it on their first day of sailing class when they were 6.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is a better quality diagram of the Worldwide iceboat rules one page diagram which is used in the USA for Blokarting.

I think it should be considered as the standard for Blokarting world wide.

WEB LINK TO ACTUAL IMAGE FILE

Sean

Blokarting is Sailing in Europe.

And for those who say blokarting is not referred to as "sailing" in Europe...

Here is the back cover of the Yearbook from Hamish and Blokart Austria!

Any questions?

Sailing! Land - Sailing!!!!!

Link to this yearbook

From Nabsa post:

Guys, this is not logical. Why are we recreating the wheel and alienating ourselves from ALL other sailing sports. In regards to speeds (I own several iceboats) iceboats (much larger fleets and participation than blokarts) go 3x as fast and sail in all kinds of poor visibility, etc. Blokarts are at the same time far more maneuverable than iceboats which are unable to turn as rapidly as we can on wheels. Why is it that this larger sport with much more sailing history and experience uses port/starboard? Are we saying they are making a mistake. Many iceboaters are not soft water sailors as well. The point is we are all sailing. Tacking, jybing, trimming, starting, steering, rounding marks and coming together the same way.

Iceboats (all classes, worldwide) have been using port starboard for 100 years. I think what your saying is that Blokarters are not intelligent enough to learn such a basic and universally accepted right of way rule as port starboard? I strongly disagree. Starboard Port is no easier or harder than right side right of way. Its just different. Why the alienation of sailing? Why allow a few who dont want to learn a simple rule make all of us change the way it is for all other sailing sports? This is silly!

Having a different rule actually is worse because it makes all sailors confused and non-sailors learn rules that are opposite to sailing. I find this very counterproductive on many levels. It limits our sports growth and acceptance on many levels, and certainly to experienced sailors.