Thread: J70: Are you sick of hearing how great it is?

J70: Are you sick of hearing how great it is?

Just because it has a J on the side, the mindless masses are creaming all over this thing. Is it me or does the J70 seem, just perhaps, a tad over-rated?

At 2500 lbs sailing weight, the boat hardly planes in 20+ knots of true wind. It is a dog.

Thoughts?

LS

It looks like a fun boat to sail, but come on...$55K for a 22' daysailor? Seriously? Is the J mystique (???) worth all of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Salvador View Post
    It looks like a fun boat to sail, but come on...$55K for a 22' daysailor? Seriously? Is the J mystique (???) worth all of that?
    You can almost buy a new Mini for that.

J/92 Ragtime!
    Is it me . . .?
    Yeah, it's you.
    Thoughts?
    My thoughts are that you got your ass handed to you for posting the same crap over on SA, so now you're trying it here.

Don't like the boat? Don't buy one. What are you, the sailboat marketing police?

Blog Entries
    It is best not to put down the boat choices of other's and instead focus all that energy into either building your own fleet by making it look good or in encouraging any and all boats to come out in your local PHRF racing. Putting down the type of boat that someone builds or purchases never works at getting more people out sailing.
    A little disorganization goes a long way toward fun sailing.

sportin 3 corner pants Bump-n-Grind's Avatar
    I probably wouldn't own one, but I think it's a cool little boat and am happy to see that it's gained enough traction to have 1D start all over the place. I've owned 3 J's.. all oldies.. not into the sprit thing (yet) so it's not a boat I'm likely to own.
    So, no, i'm not sick of hearing how great it is. It's good to have a hot selling boat out there in the marketplace, so Eff off.
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate

Here's my take on the whole 20'-ish sportboat scenario -- I've raced a lot of different keelboats and decided when I moved back to the US to get back into racing keelboats. My local J/24 fleet is THE one design fleet in the area, I used to own one, and a lot of my friends are active in the fleet. But you have to organize a crew of 5 - which for me was something I didn't want to get back into. The allure of the 20' sportie to me was multi-faceted...first, only 3 people to organize. Love that. Feet-in hiking. Love that too. I didn't want a boat that would require me (or 5 of my friends) to hang from their armpits - so I ruled out a lot of boats - like Melges 24. Planing in 12kn and really flying when it's 15kn+ -- now that is freaking fun!

I bought a Melges 20 and - with another owner in Seattle - tried to get interest going in order to build a one design fleet. 2009 wasn't a great time to build a fleet, and my efforts didn't carry the day. I ended up taking my 20 to Miami and sailing in the M20 circuit...it was a BLAST, but a lot of $$$ far from home plus it meant no fun race boat in my home waters.

The J/70 is taking off in Seattle - so even though it's not as cool as the Melges and not as fast, it represents what I wanted from my Melges in all aspects --- 3 person crew, legs-in hiking (mostly), and planing in medium breeze. If the fleet builds up and I get my new business running and cranking out some $$, I could easily move into the J/70 fleet.

It's not about the boat itself. It's all about the fun factor and racing one design.

WWing

J70: Are you sick of hearing how great it is?
    Just because it has a J on the side, the mindless masses are creaming all over this thing. Is it me or does the J70 seem, just perhaps, a tad over-rated?

At 2500 lbs sailing weight, the boat hardly planes in 20+ knots of true wind. It is a dog.

Thoughts?

LS

So don't buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by White Wing View Post
    Here's my take on the whole 20'-ish sportboat scenario -- I've raced a lot of different keelboats and decided when I moved back to the US to get back into racing keelboats. My local J/24 fleet is THE one design fleet in the area, I used to own one, and a lot of my friends are active in the fleet. But you have to organize a crew of 5 - which for me was something I didn't want to get back into. The allure of the 20' sportie to me was multi-faceted...first, only 3 people to organize. Love that. Feet-in hiking. Love that too. I didn't want a boat that would require me (or 5 of my friends) to hang from their armpits - so I ruled out a lot of boats - like Melges 24. Planing in 12kn and really flying when it's 15kn+ -- now that is freaking fun!

I bought a Melges 20 and - with another owner in Seattle - tried to get interest going in order to build a one design fleet. 2009 wasn't a great time to build a fleet, and my efforts didn't carry the day. I ended up taking my 20 to Miami and sailing in the M20 circuit...it was a BLAST, but a lot of $$$ far from home plus it meant no fun race boat in my home waters.

The J/70 is taking off in Seattle - so even though it's not as cool as the Melges and not as fast, it represents what I wanted from my Melges in all aspects --- 3 person crew, legs-in hiking (mostly), and planing in medium breeze. If the fleet builds up and I get my new business running and cranking out some $$, I could easily move into the J/70 fleet.

It's not about the boat itself. It's all about the fun factor and racing one design.

WWing

Exactly. I do not think people are buying J-24 because they like getting the crap kicked out of them when they sail. They buy it for the fleet which is what J-Boats is very good at doing building solid one design.