View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on the Best of 25?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • I really enjoy finding out how my boat did.

2 66.67%
  • I think this is a stupid waist of time and is wrong by rewarding participation over doing well

0 0%
  • I think this system really shows who's racing the most and supporting the most races in our area

2 66.67%
  • I've got ideas to make this better and I'll post them below!

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Best of 25 - Northwest Sailboat Rankings

Blog Entries

Best of 25 - Northwest Sailboat Rankings

PD's PNW Señor Editor and Warshington State Coogars Fan President, Ballard Sailor has produced an epic, it lives on the Front Page because, well, thats where it is...

Joe Bob sez "Check it out"

Here be a bit of it...

The Best of 25 Intergalactic Championship is a comprehensive look into the large group of sailboats that race throughout the Greater Puget Sound area. New this year – WE HAVE SPONSORSHIP! Not only has Jan and Skip Anderson once again taken the time and spent the money to be out on the water taking these amazing photographs of the boats and sport we all love but Sail Northwest has offered to print off photos of each and every boat in the top 25! Come on by the Sail Northwest booth at the Big Seattle Boat Show (just look for the J/70) and pick up your photo’s. 4x6’s, 5x7’s everyone in the top 25 gets some photo’s and Numero Uno, the 2013 Best of 25 Intergalactic Champion gets a 4x6 and an 8x10 glossy – each taken by the amazing Jan Anderson while being driven around by her boat boy Skip who took the time to look through their data base and find a good shot of each boat. These two not only get their boat out to take photo’s, they assist the race committees with course issues, they put boats in distress under tow and have even been known to deliver sailors with medical emergencies to the shore for care. Thank you for all you do out there Jan and Skip!

So the Best of 25 Intergalactic Championship; we picked 25 different races from the South Sound, West Sound, East Sound and even way up North to Whidbey, Anacortes and the San Juan Islands. 25 different races that put 556 different boats on the list. Think about that for a second, 556 different sailboats are out racing in Western Washington’s waters – That is an Amazing amount of boats!

Each boats score is developed by adding up their finish places, by class, in each and every race. No boat did all of the 25 races so a “DNE” score (Did Not Enter) was developed and is simply the worst class score in the particular race +2. Encouraging and rewarding participation, combined with doing well of course, is the plan for the Best of 25. Nothing is thrown out in the Intergalactic Championship – Everything counts! Participation is key - the most active consistently well sailed boat comes out on top every year. Ties are broken by the number of races entered and then the number of first place finishes

For 2013 the races of the Best of 25 include Winter Vashon, Duwamish Head, Toliva Shoals, Blakely Rock Light, Islands Race, The Tulip Cup, Blakely Rock Benefit, The Puget Sound Spring Regatta, Protection Island, Race to the Straits, Vashon Island, Three Buoy Fiasco, The West Sound Sailing Association Series, Whidbey Island Race Week, Down the Sound, the new T-town Regatta, Northern Century, The Pacific International Tonner Championship, Star & Bar, Round Bainbridge, Foulweather Bluff, The Puget Sound Sailing Championships, Grand Prix, Round the County, & The Snowbird Series. Buoy racing, mid distance races, weekend and season series along with shorthanded races and two day events – everything Puget Sound Sailing has to offer.

Without further mumbo jumbo I give you the top 25 boats in the Best of 25 Intergalactic Championship with photo’s graciously put together by Jan’s Marine Photography (with help from her boat boy Skip) - look em up and get a shot of your boat from this past years racing!

[center]
    #1 Bat Out Of Hell, a Farr 30 owned by Hood River Yacht Clubs Lance Staughton. Yep, Hood River – No one puts more miles under their keel and more miles on their car for sailboat racing than Lance Staughton. BOOH, as she is affectionately known, entered 19 of the 25 with 2 first place finishes and a total point count of 161. Well done Lance!

#2 Last Tango, a J/105 owned by Corinthian Yacht Club of Seattle’s Jim Geros. Normally thought of as a One Design racer Last Tango garnered 192 points after doing 14 of the 25 races while taking home only one 1st place finish.

#3 goes to Terremoto owned by Corinthian Yacht Club of Seattle’s William Weinstein. An amazing Paul Bieker design that was way ahead of her time, this Riptide 35 competed in 12 of the 25 races and took home 8 first place finishes to help her garner only 194 points, barely out of second place.
    Last edited by Ballard Sailor; 12-19-2013 at 05:05 PM.
    A little disorganization goes a long way toward fun sailing.

Great effort, not from Puget Sound but the coverage is very nice.

Thanks for sharing!

Blog Entries
    Here is the 2014 Seattle Area Racing Calendar for anyone interested....

I think you meant to spell it, "...waste of time..."

Although it certainly wasn't. Nice to learn the name of boats owners and crew!

Blog Entries
    Oops, I hate spelling mistakes!

Misteaks....

unmarried t-bones

Chick Magnet
    Thanks for doing this.. It's fun..

Here's a link to last year's rankings

http://www.pressure-drop.us/forums/s...rops-2012-List

Personally, we moved up 38 places and doubled our participation!
    David
    1987 Canadian Sailcraft 36 Merlin
    "Kyrie"
    Edmonds, Washington
    Salish Sea

Forgot about this, a 1st and a 4th in two races moved me up some 120 places! gotta like that. i'm in the top 50........

percent! LOLOLOL

Ok David, set your sites a bit higher!