Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mongo Dismasted Off Maui?

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mongo Dismasted Off Maui?

Mongo dismasted off coast of Maui. Trying to stabilize situation. Fuck.

ronnie simpson

( I trust Ronnie isn't playing trixie)

"After an incredible 4 days in Hilo, MONGO has departed big i island for Maui."

http://www.openbluehorizon.com/
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Dayuum, that boy sure does break boats. Godspeed Ronnie!

Back in port it seems https://share.delorme.com/RonnieSimpson
    PST

Ronald Simpson Tue Apr 1 2014
    4:49 PM
    Speed: 0.0 mphHeading: SEElev: 59 ftLat: 20.895448
    Lon: -156.465246

Blog Entries

Thanks for the support everyone. I am physically okay and MONGO was towed back into Kahului sans mast

ronnie

Blog Entries

Simpson Dismasted On Maui's East Side

Ronnie Simpson on his Cal2-27 Mongo was in route from Kahului to Lahaina and on the East side in about 18-20 knot with some big swell running. At this point he's not sure why, but the lower starboard shroud failed and the mast broke in 1/2 then fell to the deck completely.

"I was in about 50' of water and had a lee shore situation big time. I tried setting the hook once and failed, but then got it to set the 2nd time. The Coasties came in about an hour and were anxious to get the towing underway. I wasn't quite ready but I could wave them off any longer, they took me under tow back to Kahului and we were almost in the harbor when a big wave rolled through and ripped the entire mast, the running rigging and most of the lifelines off the port side/ The boat is pretty f**ked up, and I'm gonna have to get towed to Honolulu to get sorted. Gotta run, there is a tsunami alert under effect and I got mor shit to deal with"
    Last edited by Photoboy; 04-02-2014 at 06:56 AM.

That Ronnie is an expert on getting into and getting out of shit, more so than anyone I have ever read about.

May your journey be long Ronnie, I await the Hollywood production!

Looks like OZ is in delay mode. Major financial setback, but good heads up work not getting washed onto shore.

Ronnie is a rigger, I bet he gets things sorted in a big hurry.

I thought the dream was endless summer, why is he headed to OZ for their winter?

Damn. I've been living vicariously through Ronnie's (post-war) adventures from afar since I saw him at Strictly Sail a couple years back. Loving the current surf safari blog posts.

And on a very selfish note, I recently acquired a Cal 2-27 and will be replacing the standing rigging soon. Afraid to sail in any breeze before I do; these boats have a history of broken masts. Morbidly looking forward to hearing what went wrong on Mongo, especially since he just re-did his rig! Can't remember if he up-sized from the original specs or not.
    RS seems to be the honey badger of sailing. Just a minor setback. Mast or not, being on a boat full of surfboards in Hawaii...life could be worse.

Does RS Racing have a donations button?

Blog Entries

MONGO back in Kahului, Maui after dismasting. Thanks to the US Coast Guard for towing us back into port!

Unfortunately, MONGO has dismasted and is back in Kahului Harbor after being rescued by the Coast Guard. I have borrowed a 4-horse out board engine, outboard engine bracket and have erected a jury rig using my old boom. I will motor sail for Lahaina tomorrow using two storm jibs and will be accompanied by the Valiant 32 Horizon, whom I met in Hilo.

The resurrection of MONGO begins. Boom has been set as a jury rig and I have bolted on a 4-horse outboard for the move to Lahaina, where I will re-rig. Thanks to Zach from s/v Horizon for the engine and Lars, commodore of Lahaina Yacht Club for the OB mount.