Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: YRA Season Closer

I don't care so much about the 'party', though I do care to spend some time with other boats and crew after racing (and maybe a party is required for that, not sure which comes first). Offering a free keg for after racing doesn't seem like an expensive proposition. Everyone gets a free beer, you get folks off the boats (at least for a bit) and start building the community outside of your boat's team.

I thought the courses this year were a great improvement, they were tactical and even longish (we just so happened to be done by 1 PM, which without much action at the club, made it a bit dull). I don't know others but I don't care to drift around Angel Island when the Central Bay has a nice breeze.

Good to see a civil conversation where adults can discuss items of concern without flaming, name calling or finger pointing.

Carry on.

"Offering a free keg for after racing doesn't seem like an expensive proposition. Everyone gets a free beer, you get folks off the boats (at least for a bit) and start building the community outside of your boat's team."

Hear ye, hear ye!

Let me ask another question...

How do we increase the interest in the Sunday race?

Without a long delivery home or a popular race on Sunday there is no incentive to even stop at the host club.

Vallejo, Benicia (not YRA) and Westpoint (new this year) are easy because they are a long way away and the round trip in a day can be a bit much.

No people = no party. (I use 'party' loosely. If 20 sailors hang out in the same place and have a beer I think that qualifies).

We have the same problem with the 2nd Half Opener down to EYC. Only half the boats stay for day two. I get that some people have lives, but Big Daddy, Great Pumpkin and the CYC midwinters seem to have at least the same number of boats on Sunday as they do on Saturday. What is YRA doing wrong?

For season closer we tried a pursuit race like is popular for the RYC races and few boats showed up. This year we went back to a standard fleet race (like the CYC mids) but I don't think there was improved interest on Sunday. Maybe folks expected a pursuit race so did not schedule to do Sunday? Trouble finding replacement crew for Sunday?

What format would drive the most participation? Long bay tours? Multiple shorter races (like the RYC races)?

Would a weekend with 3-5 races over two days scored as a single regatta be a popular option?

Yeah, I know, ask 5 people and you'll get at least 6 different answers...

I think you will find the RYC has a lot of RYC members that attend their 2 day events, and since it's at their own club and they don't need to
    do a post race delivery, it's an easier sell. It's warm, there is free parking and the bar is open for post race beverage. They even have food service
    Sunday evenings so you don't need worry about that at days end.

If you want to scare away repeat customers, make them feel unwanted.

Andy,

How do we increase the interest in the Sunday race?
    Do the owners really want a Sunday race? A poll can help answer this.

Without a long delivery home or a popular race on Sunday there is no incentive to even stop at the host club.
    If this is the case, then there is something wrong with the "Party". Seriously, if the party at the end is an EPIC, must attend event, then you will have plenty of people hang around. If it is dead and boring, then folks won't bother.

How about making some of the shore side activities mandatory? This is the "Party Circuit" after all.

Or, things like raffles, give-aways, etc. can help make things fun. Hire a MC with a remote mic to wader the docks and interview the racers. Somebody mentioned hiring a comedian. The point is to think outside the box, and make the PARTY something special.

How about having the clubs compete for the Pressure-Drop.US "Best Party of the Party Circuit Award" or something.

No people = no party. (I use 'party' loosely. If 20 sailors hang out in the same place and have a beer I think that qualifies).
    See above comment regarding boring parties.

As a mulihull owner, I am not your typical customer. However, my guys prefer not to race on Sundays. For races like the Vallejo Race, or the Jazz Cup, Westpoint, etc, the return gives us a chance to unwind and relax. I let the crew drive the boat, and we just enjoy the sailing.

Also, we much prefer Bay Tours, over the around-the-cans type races.

Anyway....my $0.02

Cheers!!!

3D

Instead of using Angel Island as a circumnavigation, use it as an obstacle.
    Send boats to 21, 7, 8 or 24 and let them decide what is best route to finish.

The sweet thing about the RYC pursuits is you have various options, and its usually a battle to
    the finish, regardless of waterline. Start the boats in clear air and use 15, 4, K, 12, 17, L and N for some quick laps
    in the mix of some longer legs to even out the handicaps between big boats and small ones.

Sundays can be a tough sell, especially in the fall, unless something meaningful in on the line.

Incorporate a couple class championships? Moores? SC 27's? Antrims? Ultimates?

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Season Closer Images Posted!

" I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery