Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 54553545556 LastLast

Thread: Alameda Marina redevelopment

they skipped the whole dredging issue..just need the seawall...

In a marina, under a boat, in the San Francisco Bay.
    I have been an Alameda Marina tenant for the better part of 30 years. First renting a wet slip for my sailboat, then for a workboat and then leasing inside shop space for my business and when that building came down, a container in various locations around the property as the redevelopment needs dictated. Last week I got my walking papers. All the containers must be vacated (or moved) by the first week of July. It seems hard to imagine that any dry sailed boats will be allowed to stay.
    Clean bottoms are FastBottoms!

That is messed up! Do you have an alternative plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Runs_with_sissors View Post
    That is messed up! Do you have an alternative plan?
    I have a couple of irons in the fire. I’m trying to stay on the island. To Alameda Marina’s credit, they are letting me take the container if I want it, which I do.

Quote Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
    I have a couple of irons in the fire. I’m trying to stay on the island. To Alameda Marina’s credit, they are letting me take the container if I want it, which I do.
    No skin off their back. What would they do with it? They'd have to dispose of it. Basically, you're just taking a problem away for them. It's still a good thing for you, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post
    No skin off their back. What would they do with it? They'd have to dispose of it. Basically, you're just taking a problem away for them. It's still a good thing for you, though.
    I understand that the marina benefits by me taking a container. Another, non-tenant diver is also taking a container and the marina charged him $500 for it. Still a steal. In any event, we are both going to Bay Ship & Yacht. In fact, I'm moving my container today.

Quote Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
    I understand that the marina benefits by me taking a container. Another, non-tenant diver is also taking a container and the marina charged him $500 for it. Still a steal. In any event, we are both going to Bay Ship & Yacht. In fact, I'm moving my container today.
    I'm just glad you're still in business....

I drove by the marina the other day, test driving a used car. Building destruction is well underway and all the RV's are gone. Looked like most of the hoist-ramped sailboats were gone, too...but not all of them. I see that a pyramid 30 that has been there for YEARS, and I've never seen go sailing, is up on Craigslist for a pittance.

Looks like all both of the previously available hose bibs in the small remaining dry storage area have been shut off. Gee, it's almost like they don't want people to keep their boats there.

Bay West has zero credibility in the sailing community, now....not that they give a sh**tte. I can't imagine that they'll bother with installing another hoist and storage area, and the City of Alameda could care less.

The sailing community is now down to two hoists on the entire Bay. Well...four hoists, two locations, practically next door to each other. I wonder if there's anywhere else a hoist and storage yard could be located. A hoist is not that expensive. $20K would buy the jib crane and the hoist, itself. $7K would pay for pouring a solid base and embedded the bolts in it.