Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: West Marine Alameda Moving

Quote Originally Posted by Wylieguy View Post
    Another thought. I purchased my first set of "new" foulies from Lands End when it was a marine mail order store in the early 1970s.
    What?! My parents have been getting those catalogs for as long as I can remember. Always wondered why it had a name as nautical as "Land's End" when I saw nothing but cardigans and slippers. Now, don't tell me Nautica was originally the official sextant maker for John Paul Jones.

Headed Offshore
    Here's Wikipedia's Land's End history. As a retired English Prof. I usually "correct" the ' mistake. Just a bad habit! Defender Industries has a different, but still interesting history.

"Lands' End began as a mail-order yachting supply company in 1963 in Chicago, Illinois.[3] It was founded by Gary Comer,[4][5] along with his partners, 1963 Pan American Games gold medalist sailors Richard Stearns and Robert Halperin, and two of Stearns' employees.[6][7] As the business became successful, it expanded into general clothing and home furnishings, and moved to Dodgeville, Wisconsin in 1978.[5] The company is named from its sailboat heritage, after Land's End, but the misplaced apostrophe in the company name was a typographical error that Comer could not afford to change, as promotional materials had already been printed.[4]" (Wikipedia)

Quote Originally Posted by Wylieguy View Post
    Another thought. I purchased my first set of "new" foulies from Lands End when it was a marine mail order store in the early 1970s. Some boat parts and a sea bag, too. But then the catalog became more and more clothing over the years and finally they gave up on boating equipment. About the only LE "boating" item left are their ice bags, which are still strong and useful. Of course you can now buy them in all sort of fancy colors and combos. I still have a ragged "used-to-be-white" LE bag I keep tools in. Frayed handles, rust stains, but the seams are holding tight. Maybe I should ask that my ashes be transported in that bag on their way to the SF Bay spreading?
    What's this talk of an ashes tote? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOP7dV_FdOw