Thread: Aussie's Out For 36th America's Cup

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Aussie's Out For 36th America's Cup

The Aussie's Hope for an entry have sunk

Katie Stanway of Newshub NZ Reports

Australia will not be among the challengers when Team New Zealand host the America's Cup in 2021.

A source close to the proposed syndicate has confirmed to Newshub that it hasn't been able to secure the funding needed for a competitive challenge.

In December, former Oracle Team USA tactician, Sydney-born Tom Slingsby told AAP that time was quickly running out, as he led the charge to enter an Australian boat in the America's Cup for the first time since 2000.

"We definitely aren't there yet and we don't have a lot of time," Slingsby told AAP. "We've got to raise a lot of money."

"But I still remain hopeful that we'll get an Australian team into the race.

"If we had the money and we could announce [that] tomorrow, we would be in a lot better shape than if we announced in three months.

"The problem is the longer we wait, the more we lose Australian talent overseas."

According to Newshub's source, the Australian venture ran into a funding roadblock and the challenge failed to get off the ground.

Team New Zealand's Blair Tuke told Newshub that it is unfortunate there won't be an official trans-Tasman clash on the waters of Auckland.

"It would have been nice if Tommy [Slingsby] could have pulled it off and got a team together for the Cup," Tuke told Newshub.

Team New Zealand skipper Peter Burling agrees.

"It's a bit of a shame they haven't been able to secure the funding," Burling told Newshub. "It's looked like it would go that way for a while now.

"It's a tough undertaking to put together a team."

It is unclear if former America's Cup-winning skipper Jimmy Spithill was a part of Australia's planned challenge.

On Wednesday, the 38-year-old confirmed he would re-join Luna Rossa for the 2021 edition, after spending close to 10 years with Oracle.

Spithill was at the helm of the Italian syndicate when they challenged unsuccessfully for the 'Auld Mug' at Valencia in 2007.

Despite a strong indication that Luna Rossa would be joined by a Ben Ainslie-backed British challenge, the only other official entry has come from the New York Yacht Club.

Newshub.

" I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Had forgotten about One Australia's sinking.

There is a good explanation the cause in the comments section on youtube.

Here it is:

"OK I can put most of the speculation to bed from the comments below. I built this boat. Yes the main winch failed and they transferred the load to I think the running back stay winch. I'm not a sailor, just a boat builder. Either way it's like trying to break a stick with your hands close together and then moving them further apart. The boat wasn't designed to take the load applied at such a distance. PLUS... these boats weren't designed to be in conditions like this. They are flat water boats. The race should have been called off. If it was flat it probably wouldn't have broken even with the winch failure. A design flaw? In a way yes and no. It only had two bulk heads. Mast bulkhead and a keel bulkhead and both were mealy ring frames and not full bulkheads.

But that wasn't the true problem IMO. The boat was as hollow as a drum. It sure was cutting edge but it had NO longitudinal strength. No beams running for and aft to stop it breaking in half. I brought this up three times but the big fella (Iain Murray) told me I wasn't being paid to think. All I wanted to do was put two short longitudinal beams running maybe a few meters for and aft of the keel box. But no. Weight was the key factor and the order of the day. I think if they were in it may not have broken. It certainly wasn't too thin a carbon layup. Why did it go down so fast? The hull and deck finished weighed only 1.1 tonnes. Incredibly light for an 80 ft maxi. The mast was 135 ft long and the single longest carbon structure ever produced.

The mast had 40 tonnes of load pulling down on the mast bulkhead. But the cause of it sinking so fast was the foil and bulb attached below had over 17 tonnes of metal combined. The foil was solid stainless steel weighing 5 tonnes alone attached to a 12 tonne lead bulb below it with small stainless steel wings off of it. So a 1 tonne broken cork being pulled down by 17 tonnes of steel and lead. Down she went! It certainly wasn't badly built. It was a masterpiece of construction built to incredibly high standards. NASA standards. In fact NASA took interest in what we were doing as it was built to the same layup as the space shuttle and we were treading new ground and finding breaking points with new technology.

Why did the three fellas stay on the front for so long? Because there was confusion as to if someone was still down below. You can see one guy leaning down shouting through the forward hatch. Inside was full of sails and nothing else. Up to two people are down there at any one time feeding sails up through the hatches or dragging them back down below. Throw in a few hundred tonnes of water and a recipe for disaster for anyone below. Once they were somewhat sure no one was below, they jumped off. They had no choice anyway. But the key point to make is that the Kiwi boat had the boat speed on us from the start. Even if nothing went wrong they were going to beat us hands down. If anyone has any questions please ask."

Cheers, King Cliff