Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Foiling 50's Are Coming To San Francisco

Have they not yet relented?

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Phil's Wild Ride

1st practice race for teams on Tuesday with winds in the 18-22 knot range. Phil Robertson's Team China
    near capsize and violent stop which does not stop the sail from continuing, result? Day is over for team
    and will have some long hours in the the mend shop to get her ready by Friday.

" I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Good thing that the driver doesn't have to fix his own boat!

Blog Entries

The UNaccredited F-50 SF Bay Report: Vol 5 Chapter 12

Tuesday, the final day of April, 2019.... The 1st formal practice day.

Cool, crisp spring like day with winds 18-22 and a bit of ebb running, but nothing too menacing.

Setup, very much like AC races, but only one whirlybird for the sailgp people and channel 2 news copter.

USCG had 3-4 boats out on perimeter, but had few customers to chase. All the cool guys that are friends of RC piled
    on the 2 media ribs with little protection. The hosers that are are on B list all pile onto the Blue & Gold ferry and get positioned
    on outside of box on north side, where they complain about the cold. The bedraggled UNaccredited work the shoreline.

People with dogs can't seem to toss balls anywhere except between photog and subject matter.
    Trip in hole left by dog while backing up for a clear shot. Least there was no poop. Good action during warm ups
    and the racing starts on time. Then it stops suddenly. Voices on the vhf talk about whales and stuff. Boats go into
    float mode for 45 minutes or there about. There are few admiring fans along the seawall. Mostly family members or friends
    of sailors and curiosity seekers.

Take a few selfies for tourists who figure that the guy with the tripod knows how to use their cell phone.
    That'll teach them...

Racing recommences. And Slingsby has the upper edge on everyone's it appears. They run one race and the white boat smokes all around the marks,
    The British team that isn't Ben Ainslie is 2nd best of the day, with the Outteridge on the wheel 3rd, And team Murica 4th. The French struggle but do finish.
    The Bright Orange boat finished early. Snapping their main wing nicely just prior to start. You can find pics of that earlier in this thread.

Racing ended early. Maybe more on Friday.

As far as spectating goes, Was advised that the parking lot at StFYC will be closed for Valet Parking for event, and Crissy may or may not be packed.
    Getting to the spit could become problematic due to the village they have set up est of StFYC. Marina Green? Okay but distant.
    Ft Mason MIGHT work if you can find parking. Bring a bike.

Embrace your bedraggled status!

Buzzed by there yesterday afternoon, not much sailing activity going on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Light Beer View Post
    Buzzed by there yesterday afternoon, not much sailing activity going on.

You need to talk to PoW and see what's up!

It is a distinct possibility that they saunter into the race course and alter the event, isn't it?

Hitting a whale, or even sea lion at 45 knots is not good for man, boat nor beast.