Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: PAC CUP Update April 2nd 2020: Deep In Thought

  1. #1
    despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    SF Bay Area
    Blog Entries

    PAC CUP Update April 2nd 2020: Deep In Thought

    The last hundred days leading up to the Pacific Cup are usually a hive of activity as competitors
    are busy preparing their boats, making their final lists, getting inspected for safety and
    compliance, and spending time on the water training. Most of those same activities are still well
    underway this year, but just like almost every other aspect of life right now, these unprecedented
    times call for new measures and no shortage of fluidity and adaptability. To that end, the Pacific
    Cup Yacht Club has revised their schedule of race deadlines and inspections while moving their
    pre-race board meetings and seminars entirely online to comply with new social distancing
    regulations. For their part, many race competitors have also adapted in a variety of different
    ways, all hoping to seamlessly move towards sailing in the 21st running of the Pacific Cup.

    Some programs are very optimistic and charging full speed ahead with their preparations. “We
    are definitely still planning to race… if they let us go out the gate we will be Hawaii bound!”
    insists Jason Crowson of the new-to-the-Bay J/125 Rufless. “We are still pushing forward
    getting the boat ready and making sure we meet all the requirements. We are pretty close to
    being ready and Rufus is even finishing the last few touches on our emergency rudder, which is
    a thing of beauty of course and probably nicer than most boats’ main rudder!. We are just trying
    to keep our social distancing while still getting everything ready to go” Crowson further
    explained. Crowson and his brother, Richmond-based boat builder and pro sailor Rufus Sjoberg,
    have recently acquired the boat from Europe and brought it back to the Bay to give the rare and
    venerable 40-foot J Boats’ platform a full rebuild before their first race to Hawaii on it.

    Former Pac Cup Commodore and multi-time race veteran Buzz Blackett tells us how he’s been
    kept off the water but is still preparing for another Pacific Cup. “The need to shelter in place and
    California’s county and state orders pretty much stopped all of our sailing preparations.* We’ve
    only gotten ‘io out in the ocean once and don’t know when we’ll get out again. Without sailing,
    I’ve shifted my focus to other new-boat stuff, like getting a VHF call sign and MMSI numbers for
    the radios, and working out gear stowage, sleeping, galley, and other below-deck
    arrangements.* We very much want to do the race, but recognize that there will have to be a lot
    of good news if it’s gonna happen anytime soon.” Blackett and his co-skipper, famed naval
    architect Jim Antrim, are planning to race Buzz’ brand new custom carbon fiber Antrim 27 ‘io.

    Both skippers turn 70 this year, but in their first outing on the new boat, they claimed first overall
    out of more than 300 starters in the annual Three Bridge Fiasco race. The Coronavirus may
    target ‘older’ people, but these two senior citizens are raring to race to Hawaii and compete for
    overall victory.

    Out-of-town competitors such as Florida’s Peter Fray, skipper of the prototype Mini Transat 415,
    have to deal with not just the Coronavirus but the resultant uncertainty and logistical hurdles
    involved with remotely preparing for a race that may not be. “We joke around that the Vegas
    odds are 19:1 against a race. As such, we have delayed the shipping of our little boat to San
    Francisco until June time frame amid these concerns.* The boat is very close to ready but I'm
    not investing in anything new*at the moment like sails or life raft.* This will greatly impact my
    ability to get a certified PHRF certificate and inspections done before the race but I cant afford
    to ship the boat without a race. We desperately want to do the race and are hoping for positive
    news.* If the race is on and my crew is healthy we will compete”, Fray told us before keying on a
    positive development that the Coronavirus has created. “We have been attending the seminars
    remotely.* That's actually a positive about the virus because now the remote boats can attend
    these seminars.”*

    Meanwhile, back at “Pacific Cup Headquarters, PCYC Commodore Michael Moradzadeh is
    conferring daily with the board and key volunteers about ongoing developments. “Our prime
    interest is the health and safety of our participants, both on land and on the water,” he

    commented. “We have two main issues: first, the shelter-in-place rules are severely restricting
    many participants’ ability to perform important preparation steps or get needed gear. They also
    are hampering planning at Kaneohe. Second, and possibly more important, is the concern that
    an undetected infection could seriously endanger the health of crew underway, or they could
    end up transmitting it to others at a finish line event”, Moradzadeh explains.

    With so many other events, including the 2020 Olympics and other major ocean races,
    cancelled or postponed, the Pac Cup board is keeping a close eye on public health edicts and
    the progress of the epidemic. “We don’t want to cancel,” says the Commodore, “but sometimes
    the safest voyage is the one you don’t start.”

    In the event of cancellation, Pacific Cup is exploring a number of alternatives, including a
    coastal race in late Summer or other destination racing once the restrictions are lifted. The
    board expects to be making firm decisions later in April.
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella" Photo Gallery

  2. #2
    I hope they can get it off, a lot of doubt circulating these days.
    Some positive new would be good!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts